Kampfgruppe Forums

Kampfgruppe Forums (https://www.kampfgruppe.org/index.php)
-   World War II (https://www.kampfgruppe.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170)
-   -   What County Was Most Responsible For The Defeat Of Germany In WW2? (https://www.kampfgruppe.org/showthread.php?t=4396)

KG_Panzerschreck 02-13-2006 05:30 AM

What Country Was Most Responsible For The Defeat Of Germany In WW2?

The answer to this question may not be as obvious as you might think. Take into consideration the following -

Russia - Russia took the brunt of the German's attention thru WW2 once they were involved. They enabled the other Allies to build up a force to hit the Germans on a second front in Europe while they fought for their very lives. Remember that 8 out of 10 German soldiers killed in WW2 were killed on the Eastern Front.

England - The English defeated the Germans in the battle of Brittan and kept the from launching operation sea lion. The Brits held on by themselves before America and Russia joined the Allied side. If England would of went down in the battle of brittian and then was overrun in operation sea lion, the Germans could of focused their entire military on Russia and may have taken Moscow in the first year that they invaded, knocking out the Russians before the Americans could influence anything in Europe. Also the Americans may of Focused entirely on Japan and considered Europe something to be delt with later, or a forgone conclusion.

America - We all know what happened and what a huge aid the USA was to its allies. Not only in war material and production capability, but its location so far from its opponents allmost assured that they would be unmollested as far as bombing campaigns and invasion threats. Another factor was the enormous amount of soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines that could be and was raised and used to liberate the Pacific and Europe.

Other - Convince us that another country was more responsible than these other options. Good luck!

KG_Jag 02-13-2006 10:50 AM

I go with the good old USA.

While the other two may have stopped Germany from winning, only the entry of the United States into the war caused the ultimate defeat of Germany. Without the US, there would not have been the decisive victory in North Africa, at least not when it occurred. There would have been no Sicily, Italy or cross-channel invasion, much less one in southern France. US air power and naval assets were also critical. With some help from others, the US develped the atomic bomb, which was designed for use against the Germans. Perhaps most important the arms, transportation and material that the US sent to the other two was absolutely vital to their repelling Hitler and his boys.

Oh by the way, the US bore the brunt of the war in the Pacific.

KG_Koz 02-13-2006 11:56 AM

Naah.

The Soviet Union had already defeated Germany by the Winter of 1942. The US provided incredible support to the Soviets in terms of supplies/equipment, but it was the Soviets who beat the German war machine.

Many people believe that the only reason that the Western Allies invaded N. Africa was to stop Stalin's complaining about how the Soviets were singlehandedly fighting the Germans. Many people also believe that the underlying push to invade France was to keep the Soviets from overrunning all of Europe.

There may not be truth to these theories, but there can be no denying that Germany's best efforts were directed East. Even if Normandy had never occurred, the only way that Germany could have defeated the Soviets after 1942 would have been for Hitler and his rediculous military ideas/policies/fantasies to be internally overthrown.

Bulldog 02-13-2006 08:26 PM

yeah..

I agree with koz on this one the Soviets had Germany... the US just aided them in this defeat...

however I am not saying the US didn't do much of anything by all means, the US did thier part, but I am just saying that the US helped more then led it back on to what koz said...

KG_Swampfox 02-14-2006 07:47 PM

russians

I stand behind Jim here, nothing could have kept the russians out of berlin
Well other than nuclear weapons..........

KG_ThorsHammer 02-14-2006 09:36 PM

Can Adolf be counted as a country?:P

KG_AGCent 02-14-2006 09:45 PM

I voted Russa but now that I think aboyut it, Thor is on to something... subtract the dude with the bad 'stache and maybe we have facism from sea to shining sea...

KG_Jag 02-14-2006 09:47 PM

Actually his mustache was about the best thing about him.

KG_Panzerschreck 02-14-2006 09:57 PM

The next Poll i do ill make sure im more specific. I should of either said "What Allied country..." or "Germany itself isnt an option". Thats what i get for assuming that no one would pick Germany. Lesson learned. :withstupi

KG_Soldier 02-14-2006 09:59 PM

I'd say Germany, not just Hitler. It's easy to blame Hitler, but the German General Staff made its fair share of mistakes -- albiet with the help (or lack thereof) of Adolph.