View Single Post
Unread 03-24-2014, 06:38 PM
Stabsgefreiter

Hi Bill,

No need for anyone to wait for us to list good/bad comments, everyone can download the demo for CMBN:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...277&Itemid=477

I spent last weekend reading the manual (approx 200 page pdf) and playing one game as American.

Some observations:
- yup, its much more expensive. I have no idea if the amount of programming justifies the price but if I get hooked on CMX2 it will be worth it.
- I have no problem with the paid upgrades, they are not a requirement but it is an advantage that eventually CMBN will have the same engine as Red Thunder.
- command heirarchy is much more complicated than CMX1 but it seems like a good system once one is comfortable with it
- Relative spotting is very different but seems cool. I am having a hell of a time trying to discern who is firing at my units! Last nite I lost a tank from an AT gun but I could not determine where the damn thing was located because the tank's crew was KIA. Later, I found that it was tucked into a group of trees that only had LOS to the specific location I rolled the Sherman into. In CMX1 the AT gun location would have been shown to all.
- CMX2 is more "fiddly" than CMX1, it takes slightly more time to plot. I think this will improve quite a bit once I am more adept with the revised camera controls plus hotkeys but my gut feeling is that the enormous multiple battalion epic battles that were so cool in CMX1 may be overwhelming.
- on board mortars seem straightforward, I have not looked into off-board yet. However, over the weekend some heavy arty was dropping on the German defenders. I didn't call for it so either my CO called for it (without my input!) or German arty was very off-target
- the text within the user interface is really small, small enough that I need to lean forward to see it. Unfortunately, I'm getting old and getting too close to the screen doesn't work as well as it used to....its only a matter of time till I get bifocals!

I encourage everyone to download the demo and give it a chance. Spend some time reading the posts on the Battlefront forum.

I'm willing to commit to purchasing CMBN immediately and putting in a pre-order for Red Thunder but i'd like to know that some of you guys are likely to follow. Id also be OK just getting the Red Thunder pre-order if nobody wants to spring for both immediately.