View Single Post
Unread 01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Oberstleutnant

Palantir...(and others) I dont know anything about "Campaign Gettysburg"
but Take Command 2nd Manassas is a really great American Civil war
battle game.
Everything that I have read about ACW battles seems to be very accurately
portrayed in this game.
I find it a blast to fight the battles with accurate troops, weapons, leaders and tactics.
When you are fighting a battle and see your line wavering, the effect that R.E. Lee, Longstreet or Jackson have on the troops is just marvelous.
A wavering line will stand and fight when someone like (3 above) comes into command range. But if the circumstances are so dire as to no-one being able to rally them
they will still break and run,but may re-form faster under the Influence of said commanders.
Real tactics pay huge dividends, and gamey things such as running troops all over
will pay the corresponding penalties (exhaustion, lowered morale and ineffectiveness)
Plus the TC2M community has taken this game and made many mods, maps and Orders of Battle. MMG opened up the code to some extent to allow this from the players.
The maps are simply Incredible and very accurate to the actual battlefields.
The players added Gettysburg, Bull run, Antietam, Chickamauga and a few others already
along with tons of OOBs covering many different battles.
Try the Demo, be patient with learning how to control the units, it can be a little trying at 1st but once you get the feel for it the game is easy to play and the units are easy to control.
When they finally do come out with the multiplayer version of this game look out!
Weapon ranges are very well done, some troops have converted flintlocks with limited range, others may have rifled muskets and still others are shooting smoothbore muskets with ball and buck. This game is very deep and I am still surprised by its realistic battle feel.

TRY THE DEMO!! =) I was hooked on it when I tried it =)

Last edited by KG_SSpoom; 01-01-2009 at 10:14 PM..