View Single Post
Unread 09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Back with a few images.

The Iron Furnaces I mentioned above produced an interesting looking {once it cooled and dried} waste product called slag. Because of the different mix of unused minerals in the Iron ore mined in each location, combined with water taken from different sources for each furnace, each furnace produced a brightly colored slag.

Here is a sample from the Royer/Springfield Furnace -

You'll notice the colors range from dark green to light green. I have some pieces that are colored in an almost seafoam green color but they are rare.

Here is a piece from the furnace from the Point View area of Williamsburg{furnace not pictured in this thread} -

As you can see, this slag ranges from light to a deep indigo blue. I do have a few hard to find sky blue pieces.

The other furnace out at Mt. Etna has Red, Black & Orange slag. It is quite strikingly beautiful. Because of that, it has been picked clean and is hard to find and i dont have any pictures of any. I will try to locate some and get a pic. As for the other stuff, John can attest to this, its lying everywhere, just bend over and pick it up.

For years around the countries bicentennial in 1976, there was a little cottage industry in Williamsburg making jewlery out of this slag. My one sister has a brooch made out of the red/orange/black slag that is very stunning.

More to come...