Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > Military History > World War II

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

View Poll Results: Who Was The Worst German General Of WWII?
Jodl 0 0%
Keitel 2 14.29%
Goering 7 50.00%
Von Paulus 2 14.29%
Himmler 2 14.29%
Other 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Jag
The question was who was the worst general (or field marshall). While others may have been even more self-serving, bigger brown nosers [I love the pun], and/or in some ways more loathsome, Goering was the worst commander for all reasons already stated. He could however do a good job in a bi-plane, if the cockpit was sufficiently large.
Quite true Bill. No one could ever doubt his bravery. Didnt he have like 28 kills?

You know, ive read a lot of personal stories written by German soldiers. Everyone i read said how they used to make fun of him for being a fat lackey of Hitler, or some other such name, but the ones where they accually got to meet him and talk to him in a relaxed manner, they would agree that he just wanted to talk and be "one of the boys", and they accually ended up liking him or feeling sorry for him, although they couldnt figure out why they felt that way. I always took those comments to mean that old Goering missed the commeraderie and closeness that the frontline boys had and he longed for it very much.
Unread 05-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Leutnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Panzerschreck
You could also add to the list failing to have the ME-262 ready in '43. Which could of been done. Letting Hitler insist on Making it into a fighter-bomber and wasting valuable time there. Wasting all that time, money and effort on all those silly projects like "Natter" & "Volksjager" when everything could of been put to better use pumping out more and better versions of the FW-190 and the ME-109. Or you could of taken it one step further and say that the ME-109 should of been shelved altogether at the end of '41 early '42 and the FW-190 should of recieved all the production lines.
The HE 162 Volksjager was not a bad aircraft. It did get off to a rocky start with structural failures due to glue failures in the wooden built up wings. Had the production continued long enough, all of these difficulties would eventually have been resolved. The aircraft suffered from lateral instability, which by reducing the dihedral of the wings would have fixed, however the quick fix was to turn down the wingtips. It was easy to build, fast, not to difficult to fly. It was one of the first aircraft fitted with an ejection seat. On the down side, it had low endurance, and its armament was a poor match for its light airframe. With rockets on the wings, and 2 internal MGs for defence it would have been better. Had its devlopment started in 42, it may have had quite a different history than to be hurried into production during the final desperate months.

Reference: http://www.vectorsite.net/avhe162.html
Unread 05-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

I cant say that i dont agree with you but the luftwaffe would of been better served putting out more poven fighters than wasting time, effort, money and dare i say pilots on projects like the above mentioned ones. Thats the point i was trying to make.
Unread 05-23-2006, 07:32 PM

Default I choose Himmler

He was given command of the troops to the north on the eastern front. Though it was almost to late anyway to win much, he never visited the front and commanded from a rail car.
Unread 06-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Oberschutze

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Swampfox

Schorner would be right up there also, flying drumsheads court marshalls are no way to lead men in difficult times. His personal conduct as a officer was criminal at best.
If you get the opportunity to read 'Hitler's Commanders' by James Lucas there's a chapter on Schorner that gives a different perspective.

Anyway, my choice is Busch - commander of Army Group Centre as the Red Army launched 'Bagration'.
Unread 06-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Oberschutze

Incidentally, I think Goering gets a bad rap, especially over the Battle of Britain. Had the intel provided to him in 1940 been closer to reality then the whole campaign would have run very differently. As it was the Luftwaffe never stood a proverbial 'bats chance in hell' of attaining air superiority over Southern England.