Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > Combat Mission

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 01-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun
Default Thor's Campaign Rules

Originally Posted by KG_Swampfox

Gents,

I decided to combine all rules, tips and questions in the campain into one thread for easy access, if I missed anything let me know..... Swamp

General rules
Please remember that it is BASIC campaign designed to run quickly without being complicated. There are a lot of features I could have added
but they would make it much more time consuming and difficult to manage. Should gamey loopholes or other issues pop up, I will render a fair and logical solution to them.

The campaign takes place over the course of 12 hours of game play (1 day). Each battle will be 30 minutes long. In order to prevent the end screen from popping up at the end of 30 minutes (showing units and numbers to everyone), I will set the battles for 31 minutes. I will then ceasefire the battle after turn 30. Each battle is rounded up to 60 minutes; the excess minutes being used for movement which does not have any set time nor is it dealt with.

Each side has victory conditions that are SECRET from their opponents. It would obviously not be good to let them know what yours are:) .

There are three large maps over which the campaign takes place. Each side begins on their start map, with a neutral map in between them. Players may leave some of their battle groups behind when advancing (or even entire battle groups), but in many cases there would be no point. A side must have full control of a map to advance to the next one.

Players control their own battle groups (no giving of troops/equip to team mates control is permitted).

There is no overall commander. Although this is obviously unrealistic, it allows each player total freedom to control his units. The lack of one leader makes teamwork and co-operation especially helpful in winning the campaign. Players can of course go about things as they see fit in trying to help their side, which sometimes could work, and other times wont, the choice is yours!
As per other multiplayer, one side will go about issuing orders to their respective battle groups until complete, at which time they will send it to their opponents. There should be an agreed upon turn order, with the last player sending the file to the designated receiver on the opposing side, "CC" ing his team mates and opponents so everyone knows where the file is at all times. It is VERY IMPORTANT that I receive the movie files also, as I need them to keep track of various things. Players are free to discuss the battle with their team mates ( I also recommend communications threads in the forum).

Guns require towing vehicles to move them from one map to another. Or they are left behind/abandoned. Abandoned guns/vehicles with no damage or just a thrown tread are captured by the victorious side with control of the map. To be fair, I will decide which battle group deserves the booty based on where it was located. Should captured examples of the equipment not be available, I will provide a suitable substitute.
Vehicles immobilized by battle damage are stuck for the duration, while those that throw a tread/get stuck are fixed in an hour (this is to make bad luck with terrain not so catastrophic). Vehicles with main gun damage are handicapped for the duration.

Units in control of a map for an hour dig in, 2 hours with fallbacks, and 3 hours with vehicles (no combat can be taking place)

Combat

Battle groups arrive on a map in movement mode (troops mounted/guns limbered). I will create deploy zones for each battle group to initially deploy in). Defending forces on the map can deploy up to the halfway point. Ammunition levels are always set to full, as battles (and series of battles) can be lengthy. Combat takes place as per usual with each side and battle group deciding what they think they should be doing in order to achieve their overall campaign goals. There are no victory locations to take in the traditional sense, just those at the edges of the map. Those vls are there for really only one purpose. If one side is capable of advancing across the whole map and taking all of them, they are clearly in control of the map. This will prevent the situation of one side having to hunt down a few enemy troops in order to officially gain control of a map when for all intents and purposes they have gained control. The fighting will take place until either one side is destroyed/retreats, or until a ceasefire is called. If one side is destroyed, the other side gains control of the map.
If one side retreats, they must physically move their forces off the map to their respective side (east for Russians, west for Germans). If the side retreating is about to exit its very last unit, I will call the battle over so the end screen does not arrive. Also, if force morale of one side (or both) is dangerously low, I will call the battle over for the same reason. If both sides agree to a ceasefire (they let me know and I do the rest), or turn 45 rolls around (automatic ceasefire that I take care of). Both sides will then inform me if they wish to remain on the map (it is possible some battle groups will decide to withdraw for whatever reason). I will place withdrawing battle groups near the map edge for quick withdrawal, as I cannot actually remove them from the order of battle when I IMPORT the map and troops. Should both sides remain, it will be time for the next round of combat. I will create the next battle, IMPORTING the map and troops, along with any reinforcements. All the forces will continue the battle in the same state they ended it, (important to remember). Should both sides withdraw after a ceasefire, I will inform everyone of the fact after I stop laughing

Reinforcements

The campaign will have scheduled reinforcements for all the battle groups, arriving at different times on the start maps. Units not involved in combat will be kept track of. At the end of a round of combat in which a ceasefire occurs, Players may move reinforcements to the battlefield which I will add when I create the new battle and import the old troops. Obviously there are advantages to keeping some units out of combat initially, as their ammo will be full, etc. After battles in which one side is victorious and gains control of a map, I will consolidate units and address war booty issues, along with updating unit stats. I will also function as HQ for both sides in handing out medals and promotions for fun lol.

There may also be several surprises that neither side knows about to add spice, but they will balance out and should be enjoyed for what they are.

Artillery:

As the forces involved are on the smaller side, artillery support is mostly in the form of mortars and direct fire weapons. I am handling the mortars in a different way that I hope will be interesting, and I will explain with an example. A battle group has a 80mm mortar observer spotting for a battery of 4 mortars with 60 rounds. The battle group will also have 4 80mm mortars on the map, with their ammo set to a single smoke round each. In other words, the observer is spotting for the battery you have on the map!
Procedure: The mortars must be together within a 30-meter radius from a central point. They must be out of hide mode. Once the observer has targeted something, the mortars must fire off their single smoke rounds when the rounds are about to begin. This is just to make some noise like they would be doing anyway (for the enemies benefit). The target must also be in range of the actual mortars, and not just the observer.
Should the observer be killed, the battery is now useless for the current round, and will revert to normal on map mortars with ammo for the duration of the campaign. Should a battery be wiped out, the observer will go into the reserve to replace a dead observer. Batteries that lose tubes will simply receive less ammo to make things simple.
A quick note on mortar batteries. They will take 2 hours to resupply if withdrawn to do so (simply to prevent a possible over dumping of ammunition every other hour)

Commanders: Each platoon and vehicle will have a specific personality in command to add a personal feel to the campaign. These men will have background history and certain abilities. Each battle group will also have an overall commander that represents YOURSELVES. Should that command group be wiped out, your battle group will have a command and control breakdown for 10 minutes, during which time your men can receive no new orders and current orders cannot be changed. After that, a secondary commander will be given a battlefield commission and become your new personality. Your persona in the field is an important commander, with abilities outweighing your average officer.

Supply issue: It is possible that after several heavy engagements on the same map, the bulk of both sides could be all running out of ammo. This would force teams to withdraw large numbers of troops just to give them more ammo. so....if it becomes clear that both sides have shot their bolt as far as ammunition goes, and large numbers of each sides troops are throwing rocks at each other and making bows, I will take the opportunity to reorganize things. Basically, instead of importing the troops, I will consolidate depleted units and create a new battle, with fully supplied troops. This is to ensure that supply doesn’t become the priority issue, just an important aspect.
Just thought i would clearly explain the vls.

V/Ls: They are there only as a sign of control for the map. Generally speaking, one side will be trying to advance across the map to get to the other side, having to push enemy forces off in order to do so. In most cases, the battle will probably come to an end before a team reaches the other side of the map as a result of the enemy withdrawing during a ceasefire or during the battle itself. There may be the odd occassion however, that one team smashes through the bulk of the enemy forces and reaches the other side, taking control of the vls. If they are able to do that, for all intents and purposes they must have control of the map. At the end of a battle, if one team has done just that, their opponent must be severely weakened, so I will judge them in control and the field is theirs. This is to prevent the scenario of one team having to hunt down every single man of their opponent when they are clearly in control. In the unlikely event that one team takes all the enemies vls and the battle comes to an end with their opponent still having significant forces available, the battle will continue, with reinforcements (if any) appearing on the maps edges as per usual. These are judgement calls on my part, but I will render fair decisions in the spirit of the campaign. Lets say one team reaches the other side of the map and takes all the enemy vls after smashing through most of the enemy forces. The enemy, as it turns out, has a company of infantry defending an isolated woooded area that is unable to affect the situation. I will judge the battle as over; the company of infantry making its escape, except for a gun that has to be left behind for lack of towing vehicle. The team that captured the vls is of course victorious and gains control of the map, but they also lost the chance to finish off the company of enemy troops since they focused on the vls (something to think about). But as I said, the battle will most likely be over before that would happen, and players should not be focusing on the vls at all.

Deployment zones: Attacking battle groups will arrive on the map separate from their teammates in their own "sectors" that will be easily recognized by boundary lines. All troops must remain mounted (I will take care of that when I create the battle). Commanders can then place their forces anywhere they would like in their respective deployment zones, as long as troops remain mounted, guns limbered. I envisioned the different battle groups operating for the most part independently, co-operating with each other when needed with some mixing of troops/equipment. Players are of course allowed to mix as many units together as they would like once the battle starts (not what I had in mind, but I will leave it up to you guys to do things how you would like). Segregation is less important for a team on the defensive, and their troops would have had some time to organize. They can therefore place their units anywhere on the map, although I still encourage BG cohesion on the whole, if only to keep things organized. The neutral maps deploy zones for both sides extend right up to the middle area; If I create a scenario in which one side is already on the map (defending), the attacker will only be able to deploy up to a certain point (I will let them know).

Questions:
Question #1

16 hours of game play. Do you mean 45 minutes (turns) X's 16 = 720 minutes (turns) ?

correct; 16 45 minute battles (maximum)

Question #2
3 maps? How do you pull this off? Are you just using a rolling map (operation)? Or are you really using 3 separate maps? If so, how do you import the battle groups to the 2nd and 3rd maps? That's not possible is it? Please explain all this "import" stuff.

yes, 3 separate maps. Combat will only be taking place on one map at a time. When a battle ends in a ceasefire, I will create a quick battle and import the same map and troops, so it is basically the same map, in exactly the same state. If players wish to call in unengaged units from another map, they let me know and I add them in the quick battle creation stage, thereby adding fresh troops to the mix. The battle then re commences.
once the battle on that map is over (one side being evicted), I will go over the forces that survived and consolidate them, etc. Players will then have an updated order of battle for the next battle.

Question #4 One map at a time, correct? Eventually a player conceivably plays on all 3 separate maps?

Correct, one map at a time. Germans have a start map, as do the Russians, with a neutral map in between; if both advance to the neutral map, combat takes place until one-side retreats off the map or is destroyed. It would therefore be possible that only one map ever sees combat, but more than likely at least 2 maps would be used.

Question #5 How do you do this exactly? You look at what a person has left, then go and create a duplicate force in the force pool screen? You can't actually save the force and put it into a new scenario. If I am correct, then your doing it this way instead of making a planned reinforcement schedule, thereby enabling a person to decide if he wants reinforcements or not? Is that the only reason for doing it that way?

If you go and create a quick battle to play, when you get to the create a map screen, there is an option to load an existing map. If you choose to do that, it will also ask if you want to "import" the troops that are on that map for the quick battle. So, if you saved the end of a game before exiting it, you could load that map with all the remaining troops it had on it. They will be exactly as they were in terms of losses and ammunition. Destroyed vehicles will also be present. It is a great way to fight numerous battles on a map using the same troops. Of course the quick battle also would allow you to add new forces to it, thereby bringing in reinforcements to the fray.

All German battle groups start on the German at start map and all Russian battle groups start on the Russian at start map.
Yes, both sides start on their respective start maps.

Both sides decide what to move to the neutral map.
Yes, both sides decide what forces to move

Both sides then set up those troops (which will be moving via foot, vehicles etc.) on the neutral map.
No, each side will tell me what battle groups/troops (remember, battle groups can leave parts of themselves behind if they chose to) they wish to move forward and/or leave behind, and I will put together the battle, sending the created scenario to one side who plots and then sends to the other side.

Do the troops that remain on the at start maps need to be set up/dug in?
No, I will be keeping track of troops that will be digging in, etc; so if a battle takes place on their map, I take those factors into account when I create the battle.

With only 3 maps, why wouldn't you commit all of your troops to the neutral map? What is the advantage of keeping something in reserve? I'd see it as more of an advantage if we were playing on a map grid where the Germans had multiple approach angles (i.e. maps to attack from)
It is certainly not necessary to leave a reserve, but fresh troops brought in to a battle at a later time will have full ammo, full numbers and be well organized. Troops left behind will after an hour dig in, providing a defensive benefit should the enemy attack them later. Then again, having the highest number of troops/equipment from the start also has benefits; it really just depends on what your overall strategy is.

Can we rotate commands on a temporary basis b/c of player's schedules? Let's say I'm on vacation for a week. I assume that we're still following the spirit of the game as long as we don't have one player controlling multiple battle groups except where absolutely necessary to keep the game moving?
Sure, when it is necessary to keep the game moving. I would have loved to have taken part in the campaign myself, but that is obviously not possible. I will enjoy playing the role of HQ for both sides as far as atmosphere type communications. There will also be a few times when I will radio something of importance.

Can we expect in-game communications from you as the Dungeon Master (sorry, too much D&D as a youth -- you're the DM now). E.g. -- can I expect some radio traffic telling me that my super Nazi killer robots will be arriving in the next 15 minutes via drop-pod behind enemy lines?
I would have loved to take part in the campaign myself, but that is obviously not possible. I will enjoy playing the role of HQ for both sides as far as atmosphere type communications. There will also be a few times when I will radio something of importance.

A quick question, can unit information be exchanged between members of the same team.
yes:). Each teammate received the "scenario" that’s shows all their sides battle groups on it. You can also show teammates your unit descriptions if you like.

Hypothetical Examples

Here are some HYPOTHETICAL examples of game play and combat that should explain some things.

A campaign between 3 Axis Battle groups and 3 Russian battle groups begins at 6 AM game time.

There are maps A ___ B ___ C,,,,Axis start on A, Russians on C. Each side has the campaign goal of controlling map B.

After discussion, The Germans decide to move 2 of their battle groups to map B, while one remains behind. The Russians move all three of their battle groups to map B. The movement does not take any time, as it is factored into the "Hour" for each 45 minute battle that takes place.
Both sides begin the battle in movement mode and advance into position. Some fighting takes place as the combatants contact each other and at minute 45, I ceasefire the battle. It is now 7AM. Both sides decide to remain on the map. I import the map and troops and they begin the battle where they left off, with each side given the option of pulling units from neutral areas back to their deployment zone, or leaving them where they are. Back on Map A, the lone German battle group stayed where it was and has been in possession of the map for an hour, and therefore its troops are "dug in". The second round of combat on Map B begins and once again I ceasefire the battle on minute 45 with both sides firmly locked in combat. It is now 8AM. Both sides decide to remain on the map. One of the German battle groups received a scheduled reinforcement of a platoon of infantry and an armored car, on their start map (map A), which he immediately moves to map B to bolster his forces. The lone Battle group on Map A also moves forward to Map B, providing the German side with fresh troops, full of ammo. Unfortunately I cannot edit the battlegoup properly in a QB, so names and exact unit composition are not possible, but I will get it as close to as it should be. Once again I import the map and troops for round three, but this time I also add the additional units by purchasing them. The Fresh forces turn the tide and the Russians are pushed back and decimated. I ceasefire the battle on minute 45; it is now 9AM. The Germans wish to remain, but the Russians decide to withdraw, leaving the field of battle to their enemy in order to recover. The Germans
wish to consolidate their position on the map, and so they choose not to attack the Russians. The Russians need to recover, and so they remain where they are, welcoming a scheduled reinforcement platoon of T34s.
As neither side is doing any fighting, an hour passes by uneventfully. It is now 10 AM. On map B, the German units have "dug in", as have the Russians on map C. The Germans also took the time to fix 3 halftracks that threw a tread in rough terrain, and they capture a Russian t34 that was abandoned for the same reason. I have also kept track of casualties taken/inflicted for campaign purposes, as well as taken note of individual units who have been fighting well. I consolidate shattered units when needed and update the Order of battles. The Germans go for all out victory and attack the Russians on map c with all their forces. The decimated Russians are hammered until their force morale is critically low.
As there is nowhere to pull back to, I let the end play out, with the Russian troops auto surrendering, ending the campaign.

Hope that is helpful.

Victory levels for the campaign are..

Total success
Partial success
Failure

Points are awarded to each side for achieving their campaign goals and inflicting casualties on the enemy.

Here is a COMPLETELY HYPOTHETICAL description of events between 2 german battlegroups and 2 russian battlegroups. Each has a start map and there is a neutral map in between The battlegroups are tiny so they are easy to keep track of.

The goal of each is to hold the Neutral map

Russians

Gaurds-1 rifle platoon, 1 SMG platoon, 1 t34/76 platoon (3 vehicles)
Army-3 rifle platoons, 1 76.2mm At gun(towed), 1 45mmAT gun(towed).

Germans

Army-1 rifle platoon, 1 Pz Gr Platoon, 1 hetzer
SS- 1 Pioneer platoon, 1 jagdpanther, 1 sdk251 250/9

it is 8AM

German plans: Players agree to move all their forces to the neutral map, expecting some reinforcements to arrive most likely soon.

Russian plans: The russians move all their forces to the neutral map, except for the 45mmAT gun and a rifle platoon (both Army units)

I create the battle using the neutral map, and add the specified forces, editing the units to carry on specific names/attributes, and give them all maximum ammo. I place the battlegroups in their specific deployment zones ( as there are two battlegroups for each side, the deploy zone is cut in half). they are allowed to deploy up to a certain point, even though the zones for each side are deeper (which is necessary because of programming issues for when I import the maps.) The first side I send the scenario to, deploys their troops where they see fit within their deploy zones (keeping troops mounted and guns limbered). they then send it to their opponents who do the same thing. Both sides then begin their movements and things are under way.Some sporatic fighting takes place and I ceasfire the battle on turn 30 (the battle is set to 31 minutes but ends at 30)

It is now 9AM ( 1 hour later with the excess 30 minutes having been used for various aspects such as movement). Both sides wish to remain on the map, and so I import it with troops . Each side can leave neutral area units where they are, or move them back to their starting deploy zone. In the case of this map, deploy zones extend up to the centre, and players will be asked not to move units around that were past their original allowed deployment zone, only to pull them back if they chose to. Back on the russian start map, the 45mm AT gun and rifle platoon have had an hour to "dig in". The battle re commences and there is heavy fighting. The Hetzer knocks out a T34, while the sdk250/9 is destroyed by AT gun fire and the battle comes to an end with a ceasefire on turn 30. IT is now 10AM.

The Germans receive a Pz4 as reinforcement and move it immediately to the neutral map.

The Russians receive a T34 platoon (3 vehicles) and decide to move it to the neutral map, and also decide to move their 45mmAT gun and infantry platoon from the neutral map(despite the now "dug in with fallbacks" status they now have), feeling that they may be able to push the germans off the neutral map if they throw everything at them.

The third battle takes place and is especially heavy. the German hetzer knocks out 2 T34s but uses up all its ammo, while the Jagdpanther destroys a T34 but is knocked out itslef by the 76.2mm AT gun, and the mark4 throws a tread in a wooded area but knocks out the 45mm. The Germans are pushed back on the map but hold on. it is now 11AM. Out of ammo, the Hetzer is withdrawn to resupply. The panzer4 crew is told to fight where they are until/if the map is under full control and they can safely repair their tracks.

The Russians recive yet another T34 platoon (3 vehicles)

The Germans receive no help.

The battle recommences and the Germans find themselves in tough. The panzerIV knocks out a T34 but takes several hits that panic the crew who abandon their mount. low on ammo and lacking support, German infantry retreat off the map, with myself calling the battle over before their last unit exits to prevent the end screen from popping up.

The russians gain control of the neutral map!It is now Noon. Along with the map, the russians captured the immobilized mark4. With only minor non combat related damage to the treads, it will take 1 unmolested hour to get the captured enemy vehicle up and running.

The germans receive A Stug as reinforcements; their men and hetzer are resupplied. They feel to weak to attempt to attack the russians on the start map, and so they sit tight. The russians also sit tight and so an hour passes with no action, each side just digging in, and the russians make repairs to the now functional mark4. It is now 1PM. The russians decide to attack and finish the Germans off. Despite dug in infantry and the support of their hetzer and stug, German forces are decimated by the Russian armour. On the 27th minute, the last german platoon, surrounded and under heavy fire surrenders, ending the campaign.
Unread 01-13-2005, 05:19 PM
General der Panzer

Then what happens?

KG_Soldier
Unread 02-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Leutnant

Post Lost Victories Rules

Lost Victories campain players, this is what I have on the rules.......