Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > Military History > World War II > Reference Material

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 03-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Unteroffizer - anwarter

Default Handbook on German Military Forces

Hey guys I'm quite new around here but I was directed to this place by Shreck from the GS forums(I like the SZO better). I don't know if any of you guys have seen this book or heard of it, but I discovered this book at my local Borders Bookstore and snapped it up. It's the "Handbook on German Military Forces" authored by the U.S. War Department right after the war. It was declassified until about '53. It's the most incredible thing I have ever seen on World War Two. It take the most in-depth look into the German armed forces, mainly the Army, and looks at how they operated, how they attacked, defended, the make-up of their formations like infantry divisions or panzer divisions. It goes into detail about their equipment, whether it is equipment found on the soldier or their vehicles. It looks at how they would supply their troops on the front, it even has a small blurb about how their trains operated and what parts of the trains had the troops on it, where what tanks were situated and even the location of the flak guns.
Here are the chapters, just to give you something to see what it's about:
Ch.1-The German Military System
Ch.2-Organization of the Field Forces
Ch.3-Other Military and Auxiliary Organizations
Ch.4-Tactics
Ch.5-Fortifications and Defenses
Ch.6-Supply, Evacuation, and Movements
Ch.7-Weapons
Ch.8-Equipment
Ch.9-Uniforms, Insignia, and Individual Equipment
Ch.10-German Air Force
All in all about 632 pages worth of very interesting facts and some detailed charts and illustrations.
http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Germa...4805719&sr=8-9
Unread 03-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Thanks for the info Kawaiku. I have known of that book for a long time now and have always wanted to get a copy. But like eveything else, it somehow keeps slipping back on my wanted list as other things take a front seat. Video games, other books, Board games ect... Im sure you know what im talking about.
Unread 03-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Unteroffizer - anwarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Panzerschreck View Post
Thanks for the info Kawaiku. I have known of that book for a long time now and have always wanted to get a copy. But like eveything else, it somehow keeps slipping back on my wanted list as other things take a front seat. Video games, other books, Board games ect... Im sure you know what im talking about.
I know exactly what you're talking about Schreck, almost too well

"I'll bet your vodka ration that I can hit it"
- Russian tanker