Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > General Discussion

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 07-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Leutnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_AGCent View Post
Well thanks for your lack of sympathy for the past time of a great many people who play those games. Very refreshing... and inspiring. All my win 95 games work on my XP rig with the exception of one that is actually a rip of an Original PlayStation console game played through an emulator. I just can't slow my pc down enough to make it playable. But then again... that's a hardware issue, not an OS issue.
Agreed, many of us are stuck with CMBB/CMAK till a suitable replacement comes along....
Unread 07-13-2007, 03:17 PM
General der Panzer

If a computer won't run CMBB or CMAK, what good is it? Are those Microsoft people really that stupid?
Unread 07-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_CrimsonTrooper View Post
ShadowRun & Halo 2 ( which are VISTA ONLY )
You are right Andy, but you failed to mention the publisher of both of those games: M$! Anybody think that this is a coincidence?!
Unread 07-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_CrimsonTrooper Send a message via Yahoo to KG_CrimsonTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Jag View Post
You are right Andy, but you failed to mention the publisher of both of those games: M$! Anybody think that this is a coincidence?!
Yes, Microsuck is the publisher.... They aren't the DEVELOPERS....
Anyone can publish a game...

This is just the beginning of programs that are being written for VISTA only.

I need to remind you as well that to get the true DirectX 10 you HAVE to upgrade to VISTA.... I am sure some people arealready working on work arounds but for the moment MOST NEW games that require DirectX10 will make you choose....

Like I said before, either embrace it or be left behind.....

- Emiliano Zapata

Unread 07-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_CrimsonTrooper Send a message via Yahoo to KG_CrimsonTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Soldier View Post
If a computer won't run CMBB or CMAK, what good is it? Are those Microsoft people really that stupid?
Do you realize what an insignificant number or group your talking about....
If thats your threat than you have a TON to worry about!

CMBB and CMAK communities wouldn't even render the tiniest ripple in the ocean of computer users.

Yes the game is fun but by no means is it the end of the world if those two games won't work with Vista. Like I have stated before, that is OLD software that has run it's course albeit a shorter than normal window of time ( no pun intended ) becuase of the introduction of a completely ( from the ground up ) new Operating system.

But then again, the only people here that have any true worries is Frankie and I because we're probably the only two KGer's that actually have and use VISTA to date.

- Emiliano Zapata

Unread 07-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Generalleutnant

Andy is like a bear in a cage that you poke with a stick sometimes.

I'm pretty sure that Mark was being sarcastic.

This whole thread gets bonus points for:

1. Beating on Andy for not being sympathetic about a computer operating system.

2. For prodding Andy in his cage.

3. For outrage that ancient games with grade-school graphics like CM won't play on the world's most advanced operating system.

4. For almost conspiracy-esque theories of why Halo actually works on Vista.

I'm pretty sure the 8-track folks all went through the same emotions as they tried to jam their 8-tracks into a car tape player. Same with the tape player folks who tried to jam their tapes into their CD players.

I won't be trading XP any time soon that's for sure. I don't play anything or do anything advanced enough on the PC to take advantage of Vista. But if you want to do cutting edge stuff, I have no doubt that Vista is where it is at.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 07-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

JJ, assuming that your tongue was not deep inside your cheek, I must ask you: at this point in time who except for M$ would put out a game that can be played only in Vista? There is an insufficient market (read: FPS gamers with Vista) for such a game, which is widely released and in the stores. I saw Halo 2 at Sam's Club! The only reasonable conclusion is that these games were released, not to make money on the games, but to promote the Vista operating system.
Unread 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM
General der Panzer

ME BEING SARCASTIC! the nerve. ME PRODDING ANDY! inconceivable.

Wait, my fantasy football team is the Prodders, so maybe John's onto something. You have to watch out for those lawer types; they're a lot sharper than the Microsoft folks.
Unread 07-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Generalleutnant

You are exactly right that MS put out Halo 2 on Vista only to promote Vista. But all they've really done is give a minor perk to those folks who bought and adopted Vista early.

Why? Halo 2 is a 3 year old game that most folks (including me) who wanted to play it, have already done so because they own an X-Box or a 360.

Halo 2 on Vista is the equivalent of offering a complimentary paring knife when you've just bought a full kitchen from a home remodeler. As Vista becomes more popular, you will see developers develop Vista only games. It's no different than XBox 360 or PS3 development. Once the system gets some legs, the developer no longer develops for the lowest common demoninator.

I would suspect, if PC development is like console development that it will take about a year before developers focus on exclusive VISTA content.

I'm not sure how this should bother anyone. If you choose to buy a new PC with VISTA and you are a gamer, it's not much different than choosing to buy a PS3. You are buying for future potential not current library.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 07-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Generalleutnant

To further illustrate the point, when MS released the 360, original XBox owners complained "What, the 360 isn't fully backwards compatible. How will I live if I can only play 100 or so XBox games on my 360 out of the 1000 games out there."

Miscrosoft said, it's the sign of the future. Trust us. In a year, you won't give a crud about those old games because we got new stuff that will blow you away. And it's true. Now, nobody cares that the 360 doesn't play your old copy of Ghost Recon. Why because GRAW2 cured anyone's desire to go back and play old stuff. Why play the original Rainbow Six when you can play RS: Vegas.

If you want to play old games, don't buy VISTA. Buy an old XP machine for your basement. VISTA is about the future of gaming (and other cool computer stuff of which I know nothing) not the past.

And games can sell systems. Case in point. If the clowns at Battlefront had built a VISTA only state of the art WW2 Combat Mission, I guarantee you most folks here would ditch the old XP one and be looking to upgrade to VISTA.