Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > General Discussion

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Feldwebel

Default World of Tanks

I posted this at GS.
It's a fun game that you can jump in & out of very easily.

Anyone trying out World of Tanks? (Beta)

I literally jumped right in last night after watching the two 3 minute tutorial videos about the game. (Very basic info) It's a fun game, takes about 8 minutes on average per battle (max time 15 min) One I was in lasted only 3 minutes and only one lasted the full 15.

You pick your nation, USA/GER/USSR then click on your starter tank (light tank = weakest in the game) and jump RIGHT IN, pretty easy.
Within the first 10 seconds I had already shot my first tank! Ok it was a friendly and I shot-out his radio, but hey it was a HIT!!
{Boy talk about a grumpy player }

You shoot using the left key button and I was used to using the left key button to turn in LotRO so my first reaction when the game started was to "turn" and I "turned" three times- hit that guy twice which I thought was pretty good shooting at the time.

Each "battle" location is random (maybe 8 different maps) and the game matches 15 random players together (or grps of 3 if they form a platoon before hand) but it balances out the tank types on each side (3 hvys on each side 3 TD's on each side etc...) The funny part is most games have new players starting in them so at the start of each game you have someone shooting wildly at his fellow teammates!

You start off with the weakest of light tanks & advance up the tree of development from there: you get research & spendable points to spend that you gain through the battles. {Research advancements then you buy it like a better motor, turret, gun etc.} I'm up to a Pz 38T with just a few hours of playing.

It's a Capture the Enemy Flag type of game with everyone starting at their base then a wild start as everyone races to where-ever heading for the enemy's location. I played in @20 battles got 6 kills and died 10 times.

For communication there's a basic text-feature that showed 2 lines of text that I had zero time to read in-combat except when I was already dead. It seems that players use Vent or TS to communicate because there's really no good or easy way to talk or ID who is in what tank or plan tactics as everyone seems to just race around. You can highlight them for an ID but to do so you have to swing your turret and target them and having your turret swinging backwards is not a good idea (no clue how the TD players with no turret would do it).

There are also SPA's which all the other team-tanks spot for, any enemy a teammates tank can see everyone on the team can see, so the SPA can see on his over-view map. The SPA can then usually target and shoot at them with indirect fire. Not sure exactly how that works but it's devastating having 105mm & 150mm fire coming down on you.

Terrain is destroyable; you can drive over fences, trees, wagons and even thru building if you have a big enough tank, or you can blow them out of the way with your gun.
I must have wasted 10 rounds of ammo shooting at a tank I could target before I realized that I was shooting the house to bits that I was hiding behind. It was interesting that it showed I could target that tank yet not shot at it.

Another time an enemy PZ IV was on the other side of a row of wooded houses from me and it took me a bit to realize that all those holes appearing in the sides of the house was due to the fact that he was shooting thru the house AT ME!

I had a fun time and was eager for each battle to begin and start shooting. There were about 2500 players on & 60 battles going while I was on.

I do think there needs to be more depth instead of just the quick wild-west shootout feeling of the individual battles. Of course there might be as I just got in and started running around.. and this being a beta more is probably coming.

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barrack Obama

''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Unread 02-16-2011, 12:53 AM
Feldwebel

I saw someone with a KG_KSU tag as an enemy in the game, is he here?

Unread 02-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Feldwebel

Guess not. :(

Anyway, I've continued playing the game and it's still fun and can only get better as they add team play, more maps, campaigns, infantry and on and on.

The best part is I can jump in, have a blast and be done with a match in under 10 minutes: very few games have gone 12 minutes much less the full 15. You can then jump right back into another match or go take care of the kids, laundry etc. Then come back and jump right back into a game in less than 1 minute. I've found that most games start within 20 seconds, my longest wait ever has been 90 seconds.

This also makes for it being an addictive game, as you can roll from one game into another in under 30 seconds with a completely different tank:Tank Destroyer, SPA, Light/Med/Hvy Tanks plus new teammates and terrain. (But you must research and buy every tank with points you get for matches) There have never been less than 2100 players when I've been on.

I'd love to see & be on a KG Team. :)

Oh- one of the "interesting" parts is reading all the different player names in the game, from "Alittlegirl" to "Toiletduck" some are funny, some cool and some have me scratching my head wondering what drug that guy's on...

Unread 02-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Kerry do you have a link?

Never heard of the KSU (K-State?) guy.
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Feldwebel

I've tried out 5 different tanks now:

German
Leichttraktor- light tank, 37mm - starting German & looks like a tractor / fast used as a scout. {Ok, but I dislike getting killed in it every battle, used it till I could buy a Pz38..)

Pz 38T - this tank leads to the TD line {I sold the Pz 35T, fun & fast can kill small stuff & SPA's}

Hetzer- TD of course. {This was the tank I WANTED to play in this game but-slow, slow, slow and the narrow field of traverse drives me crazy so I rarely play it now. I might like it if I eventually can buy a 75/L48 or 105mm gun and replace the weak 75/L43}

Strumpanzer I Bison- (SPA) slow moving and slow firing but with a 150mm gun, its fun to play just because of the gun and big hits but vulnerable to everything.

USA
T1 Cunningham- light tank, 37mm gun, starting USA & also looks like a tractor / fast, used as a scout (never fielded). {same as the German starter - just opens up the USA tank line}

T57 SPG (SPA) 76mm gun, quick firing, good armor for an SPA (also never fielded). {Fun fun, fun, fast, quick firing and armor that allows you to return fire after being hit. I've played this the most. I can hit everything but I'm getting tired of just damaging the med enemy tanks every game and not killing them. I'm going to move up to the M37 with a 105mm, designed in '45, used in Korea.

{All the tanks are "real" even if just on the drawing board or a prototype.}

The only problem is some battles have had up to 7 SPA's a match which is over kill, 3 should be the max with the maps & slugfest idea in mind.

Here's the link - should you get in I'm "MithLuin."

http://www.worldoftanks.com/

Unread 02-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Feldwebel

So...
After a couple of hundred matches and playing nearly a dozen various tanks I've reached the wall in the beta-version. I'll just play now when I have a few minutes between doing other things.

The beta has only 12 maps, only 1KM in size and each match has 30 players (I often see 15+ names I saw in the last "random" match.) Everyone now knows where everyone's advance path is, where you are going to set up ambushes and hide arty units etc.

Games are either extremely close or slow moving, reaching the 13th+ minute or total overruns happening within 2-3 minutes. This is clearly not the fault of the game but the limits of the Beta, nevertheless the "done it all before" factor has kicked in for me.

When it goes live they are supposed to have 25KM maps, infantry and "clan" play where you battle for a country and provinces over weeks or months of game play.

I will definitely be jumping into the game full force again when that happens.

Unread 03-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

I will give this one a look by the end of the month, when my schedule clears a bit.
Unread 03-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Feldwebel

Let me know when you do!

I'm back into the game- I couldn't stay away.
It's almost like the draw of "WoW" you want to get to the next "good stuff" and score some kills.

For me, as I mentioned, I wanted to play the Hetzer but the underpowered 75/L43 just made it frustrating to play in this game. But I kept popping back in to play it on & off until I got enough point to upgrade to the 105mm.

The gun was a big improvement and I started enjoying the "sniping" aspect. So... I kept playing until I could buy the StugIII, and am having a blast playing again. I'm working to upgrade to the 75/L48 so I can get the 75/L70.

So far:
Hetzer- battles 99, kills 53
StugIII- battles 30, kills 21

M37 Arty- battles, 92 kills 54
SU-26 Arty- battles 72, kills 21

Now- all tanks are tiered & grouped together Tier 1-4 / Tiers 5-10
The Hetzer is T4 and thus I was battling equal or lower tier tanks in it.
The Stug is T5 so I'm at the low end of that group fighting higher tier tanks but my kill ratio is much higher. I'm also surviving more.

Survival:

Hetzer 31%
StugIII 40%
M37 33%
SU-26 31%

My only issue is too liberal "spotting" between units. Of course this is not counting the unrealistic Arty spotting method (seeing every target your teammates can see) being able to look down on the map.

It's quick and fun and will be much more so when you actually get a team together instead of 15 random teammates.

Unread 03-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Feldwebel

Interview with the developer.
30,000 players a battling on one massive match?!

The USA servers & the opportunities will lag behind the Russian servers.
No mention of Infantry.

{Thanks Bill!}

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ew.html/page/1

Last edited by Palantir; 03-11-2011 at 08:48 PM..
Unread 03-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Kerry--the link did not work for me.