Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > The Depot > SSpoom's Basement

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 11-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Default Gridiron Remembrances

Tonight during my old High Schools Fall Sports Awards Ceremony, our 1984 Undefeated Football team was honored for the 25th year anniversary of that memorable season. The School, Football Booster Club, and the Community Awarded us with Framed Certificates and T-Shirts to mark the occasion. A great time was had by all and I personally had fun seeing the gang again hearing how everyone is doing. The Guys have gone on to do many different things. Some work in Factories. Some in Construction. Some own their own companies. Some are/were in the military and one is the Tennis coach for an Ivy League College. We even have an Engineer and a Lawyer, just like KG, LOL. All of us learned our leadership back then playing for a couple of the best coaches around and for the second smallest school in Pa. with a football team. We learned so much more than the game of football from our coaches. To this day I thank God for just knowing my line coach, coach Campbell. He meant that much to me.

Sorry if i went on too much there. I wanted to share that with you guys.
Unread 11-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Unteroffizier

Location: Not the edge of the world but you can see it from here
Send a message via Skype™ to KG_RangerBooBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Panzerschreck View Post
Tonight during my old High Schools Fall Sports Awards Ceremony, our 1984 Undefeated Football team was honored for the 25th year anniversary of that memorable season. The School, Football Booster Club, and the Community Awarded us with Framed Certificates and T-Shirts to mark the occasion. A great time was had by all and I personally had fun seeing the gang again hearing how everyone is doing. The Guys have gone on to do many different things. Some work in Factories. Some in Construction. Some own their own companies. Some are/were in the military and one is the Tennis coach for an Ivy League College. We even have an Engineer and a Lawyer, just like KG, LOL. All of us learned our leadership back then playing for a couple of the best coaches around and for the second smallest school in Pa. with a football team. We learned so much more than the game of football from our coaches. To this day I thank God for just knowing my line coach, coach Campbell. He meant that much to me.

Sorry if i went on too much there. I wanted to share that with you guys.
Don't be silly, I've got the same memories from my high school days, though they weren't quite that successful. I still miss playing football to this day though my body says I'm nuts for it. My biggest regret to this day is that I didn't take one of my college scholarship offers to play, bad knees or not.
Unread 11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

That's great Kent. How many of the guys still live in and around town?
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Generaloberst

@RangerBooboo - Thanks my man. I sometimes wonder "What if" myself. I had several, 3 in point of fact, small colleges pursue me but i never followed up with them because none of them offered what i wanted to go to school for. I wanted to go to school to be an architect and none of them offered that kind of schooling. I was afraid if i went to another school and played football id party too much and not study and chase girls cause i was a football player and flunk out of school. I saw the same thing happen to several guys in the two grades above me that i played with on that undefeated team. As it terned out i ended up only going to school for only one semister and stopping due to a family financial crisis and i had every intention of going back but it just never happened.

@Jag - Just about half of the guys live within an hours drive of town. I neglegted to mention that 5 of them are teachers in the local school districts and one is the current principal at our hometown school.

The weird thing about the get together last night was that the people who werent there, with the exception of a guy who just moved to Texas{Go figure}, most of the ones who didnt show were from town. About half who were there came from long distances. Funny how stuff like that works out.
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Generalleutnant

That is really cool that they had a ceremony honoring you all. Football was the biggest life changing experience that I had as a kid. My youth coach for 5 years was an ex-Vietnam vet who was poor as dirt and drove a mid-60s pickup truck. But man could he motivate and coach. We won 3 youth championships and one inter-league championship in 5 years.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Generaloberst

I know what you mean John. I wouldnt be half the man I am today if it werent for the influence of Jerry Campbell, my line coach, as a mentor and someone to strive and look up to in my life.

FYI - I have some shots uploaded on my facebook page if you guys are interested in seeing a bunch of bald fat ex-football players, lol.
Unread 11-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Unteroffizier

Location: Not the edge of the world but you can see it from here
Send a message via Skype™ to KG_RangerBooBoo

I really don't remember my coaches being a big role model but what I remember most was how much you could accomplish if you pulled together as a team. We were just a bunch of big farm kids, didn't have any speed, but we played as one and missed making the playoffs by a touchdown. Heck, our fastest running back would only beat me in a 100 yard dash by about a step and a half but what we lacked in speed we made up in toughness. We would just about grind everyone down into the dirt by the time four quarters were over. I had about 8 scholarship offers to what are now Div 1-AA schools but I had the same problem, wanted to go to a school with a big time engineering program and that was Illinois. If I had known I wasn't going to end up an engineer I certainly would have rethought that decision. Oh well, my knees thank me today.
Unread 11-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Generaloberst

LOL I know all about playing schools like that. We have about 4 or 5 on our schedule every year, hehe. The one, every year, without fail, would take the biggest kid in each class and make him a Fullback. Didnt matter how big or how slow, he was a Fullback. They've done that since longer than ive been alive. They were "Fridge'in it" before there was a fridge. My senior year they had a guy who was 6'7" tall, weight 315lbs. You should of tried takling him for a whole game, lol.