Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > General Discussion

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 02-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber (Ret.)
Oberst

Send a message via MSN to KG_AGCent
Default RTS and RTT

There was a discussion on TS last night that centered around the differences between certain games and where that dividiung line is drawn. I found this article to be very informative and helpful in discerning these distinctions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_tactics

According to the definitions given here Red Orchestra is different from your typical shooter as there are several functions that are outside the control of the player which are endemic to the particular mission you find yourself on which lends itself to the "Simulator" genre'.
Unread 02-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

While never having played Red Orchestra, I have played, and completely enjoyed i might add, the first 2 Operation Flashpoints. I always considered them Simulations because of the real life nature of the combat. Example. If you got hit with even a single bullet, you usually died. If you didnt, you were so screwed up it made it next to impossible to finish your mission without getting medical attention. With that in mind it forced the player to act like one would IRL and not to "Rambo" it around like one would in a game like MOH or COD. Therefore IMHO those games were simulations.
Unread 02-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_CrimsonTrooper Send a message via Yahoo to KG_CrimsonTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_AGCent View Post
There was a discussion on TS last night that centered around the differences between certain games and where that dividiung line is drawn. I found this article to be very informative and helpful in discerning these distinctions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_tactics

According to the definitions given here Red Orchestra is different from your typical shooter as there are several functions that are outside the control of the player which are endemic to the particular mission you find yourself on which lends itself to the "Simulator" genre'.
Even after reading the article, I still wouldn't put RO into the category of simulator, This is of course my opinion.

The ONLY true simulator was OFP, that game rocked! People just got tired of it because if you got shot you were impaired for the rest of the mission, depending on where you got shot, you get shot in the legs, you had to crawl everywear... you got shot in the arm, your aiming down the iron sight was VASTLY impaired.

People just like to Run & Gun way too much to really enjoy and appreciate OFP for what it is and was....

RO while semi-fun is still cartoonish and definitely not in the same league as OFP. Not by 50 miles!

I know you have fun with the game Rob and thats cool, like all things, it depends on the person who's playing it and what they think of it.

People who play and LOVE Unreal Tournament 2007 does it diminish their opinion because they play that over RO or DoD?...

It comes down to one thing..... Personal Likes & Dislikes, COKE Vs. Pepsi,
CHEVY vs. ford, Vanilla vs. Chocolate

Here's the thing, you can post whatever you like that shows your side and another person posts something that says the oppossite.

IF you yourself like it then awesome but don't belittle someone or the games they play because in your opinion the game the play/like you don't like.

- Emiliano Zapata

Unread 02-12-2007, 03:05 PM
General der Panzer

Well... the infantry is more of a "simulation" than DoD, but the Tank aspect of RO is certainly not a "simulation," or if it is, it's a bad one.