Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > Combat Mission

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 08-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Oberstleutnant

Default What terrain mods

What terrain mods do you guys use?
There are so many different ones I dont know where to begin.
I have no mods but would atleast like a gridded map mod but dont know which one is best.Or does it take more than 1?
I had a nice gridded setup before but lost all that stuff long ago
Unread 08-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Grids are cheating!
Unread 08-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Fahnenjunker Unteroffizier

I dont believe grids are cheating. It provides a more realistic view of the terrain that the vehicle commander's would see, but we cant
Unread 08-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Generaloberst

Ah, but i do belive they are. Especially if your using them and im not. It can give someone an unfair advantage. With a quick look a simple range estimation can be made with grids that never could be made without them and that is an unfair advantage IMHO.

True i can stop the game and back it up and re-watch it over and over again just like you but grids give an edge when there shouldnt be one.

Case in point. If a grid is "X" and my SP will kill a T-34 at 10X and im 12X away, all i know is that i have to move up two more "X" distance and ill be in range. I think thats a disadvantage, some dont, i guess we have to agree on a disagreement.
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Panzerschreck View Post
Grids are cheating!
Players with eyes less than 50 years old are cheating!

Grids have never been an advantage to me with regard to to distance measurements. The in game LOS tool is much more useful and effective for that purpose.
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_SSpoom View Post
What terrain mods do you guys use?
There are so many different ones I don't know where to begin.
I have no mods but would at least like a gridded map mod but dont know which one is best.Or does it take more than 1?
I had a nice gridded setup before but lost all that stuff long ago
Grids come in a variety of widths and configurations. I like the simple thin lines.

Also helpful are mods for rough terrain (you can see it much better), foxholes and craters (easier to pick up and distinguish between the two), and those that make it easier to distinguish between scattered trees and other types of wooded patches at all game resolutions.

Wish I could spell out which ones to recommend, but my binders with all that information are in Austin. As I recall, I like Captain Wacky's grids. A number of players like Rocket Man's work. You can shop around here (where the front page currently features some CMAK thick line grids):

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Generaloberst

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Jag View Post
Also helpful are mods for rough terrain (you can see it much better), foxholes and craters (easier to pick up and distinguish between the two), and those that make it easier to distinguish between scattered trees and other types of wooded patches at all game resolutions.
I dont want to get that whole old argument going again and i say this with all due respect Bill, but your above quoted statement just made my case for me. Anything that helps you see something easier than stock graphics and gives you a chance to notice something you might not of normally is a distinct advantage over someone who isnt using the same mods.

You can make the case for your old eyes all day and thats fine but there other people out there who use them to their benefit.
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Kent the game is designed so that the player can see and react to all these terrain types. Unfortunately, the graphics provided out of the box make this more difficult than it should be or would be for a real commander.

The mods have been out there for general use for almost a decade now (in the case of CMBO). Your ability to spot stuff also varies with how big your monitor is and (especially when the CM x 1 games were released) with the video card, if any, that you have. What is/was the "proper" standard of play for these visual enhancing "cheats"?

Stop whining and play young man!
Unread 08-24-2009, 04:04 PM
General der Panzer

I like the grids. They, however, have never prevented Kent from ambushing my poor troops with flamethrowers.
Unread 08-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Feldwebel

Have there ever been any "tests" that prove one way or the other that Grids help that much in a game?

I don't use them, mainly because I'm too lazy to get them- or any mod... also because when I design I want to see what the normal un-modded player would see. If I had a bunch of "cool" mods I might think the map looks better than it does!

On the gamer side: is it really all that much trouble to go down on the ground & look around / LOS a situation?

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barrack Obama

''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne