Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > The Depot > SSpoom's Basement

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 08-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Default Favorite Non-War Movies

What are some of your Favorite nonwar movies of all time?

My 2 favs of time, even over war movies belive it or not {Yes Mark, not a flamethrower to be found, LOL } are -

1. Soilent Green. Starring Charleton Heston & Edward G. Robinson {Probably spelled their names wrong} A movie chock full of Symbolism, its set in the future in an overpopulated USA where the Gov. can barely keep the people fed. The Gov. makes these atrifical food products called "Soilent Red, Yellow, Blue" ect... Heston is a police officer who slowly through out the movie become disillusioned with the gov. and its policies of violent mistreatment of the people during food riots and other policies such as voluntary Youthanasia for the elderly & the sick. I wont tell you any more because id spoil the movie for anyone who hasnt seen it. I belive the movie was made in the late sixties and its a testament on the turbulent times then and what the writers thought the future would hold if we continued down the same path.

2. Cool Hand Luke. Im sure you all know who was in this one and what its about. Just like Paul Neuman's character Luke, I am as Muleheaded as they come, dont take orders very well and if i was put in that situation when i was younger i could see the same thing happening to me.

Ive changed alot over the years and learned my lessons and im no longer like that, but in my youth that movie spoke to me like no other. Im still a little muleheaded though, LOL.

Last edited by KG_Panzerschreck; 08-10-2006 at 12:36 AM..
Unread 08-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber (Ret.)
Oberst

Send a message via MSN to KG_AGCent

NxNW

Milagro Beanfield Wars
Unread 08-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Unteroffizier

Send a message via MSN to KG_Norad

Lone Star: Complex mystry/drama that gets richer everytime I have watched it.

Men with Guns was also pretty compelling if not a little slow.

Psycho favorite suspense horror.

I will probably think of more and post as they come to me.

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorius is to die daily" - Napoleon Bonaparte.

Last edited by KG_Norad; 08-10-2006 at 12:12 PM..
Unread 08-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

The Thin Man series starring William Powell and Myrna Loy. Intelligent and funny, these movies are pure classics.
Unread 08-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_CrimsonTrooper Send a message via Yahoo to KG_CrimsonTrooper

Your really handcuffing me with no war......but I'll give it a try...

1. Tombstone ( Val Kilmer & Kurt Russell amongst a ton of other star actors) I have seen this movie give or take 1 or 2 times at least 75 times.... I have listened to it while driving on family vacations to the mountains and lakes we go to probably 25 times... ( I recoreded the movie to cassette tapes direct from my laser disk player at the time ) I can recite pretty much the entire dialog by memory. This is one of my absolute all-time favorites.

2. The Quiet Man - John Wayne & Maureen O'hara ( hubba hubba, loves the red heads... )

3. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy ( Technically it's not a war movie.... but then again it could be more of my wishing it wasn't )

4. The Matrix

5. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

6. Nacho Libre

7. HEAT ( Val Kilmer & Robert Deniro ) The shootout...Holy Crap!

8. The Godfather I & II ( III Sucked! )

9. Gladiator ( NOT the boxing one )

10. Goodfellas

11. John Carpenters "The Thing"

12. Indiana Jones Trilogy

13. Return of the Dragon ( seeing Chuck Norris die was worth it's weight in gold! )

14. Shaun of the Dead

15. My Science Project - 1986 ( Go go GTO! )

16. Above the Law ( Steven Segal's first movie...When that came out WOW!!!!! I ditched school to go to the movies to see it )

17. American History X ( The black & White Version was more powerful )

18. The Saint ( Val Kilmer )

19. Backdraft

20. Big Trouble in Little China

Just to name a few...

- Emiliano Zapata

Unread 08-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Generalleutnant

No particular order

1. Godfather
2. Untouchables
3. American Beauty (great filmography -- the rose petal scene is great)
4. Thin Man (Jag and I obviously love Myrna Loy)
5. Cool Hand Luke ("What we have here is failure to communicate")
6. Heat (who doesn't love the shootout)
7. Spiderman and Spiderman 2 (has an actor ever so perfectly captured a superhero, and I didn't even like Tobey prior to this)
8. Aliens
9. Star Wars
10. Empire Strikes Back
11. Life is Beautiful
12. Ben-Hur
13. Gone with the Wind
14. Rear Window

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 08-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_CrimsonTrooper Send a message via Yahoo to KG_CrimsonTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Kharkov
No particular order

1. Godfather
2. Untouchables
3. American Beauty (great filmography -- the rose petal scene is great)
4. Thin Man (Jag and I obviously love Myrna Loy)
5. Cool Hand Luke ("What we have here is failure to communicate")
6. Heat (who doesn't love the shootout)
7. Spiderman and Spiderman 2 (has an actor ever so perfectly captured a superhero, and I didn't even like Tobey prior to this)
8. Aliens
9. Star Wars
10. Empire Strikes Back
11. Life is Beautiful
12. Ben-Hur
13. Gone with the Wind
14. Rear Window
I dig those movies too but I had a hard time because some of your movies were "War" movies..... C'mon a lawyer like you trying to skate by like that ;) Selections 9, 10, 11 & 13 don't count because of the war element.

I like your number 8.... If you haven't seen the directors cut of it your missing out! It has 20 mins that round the movie out perfectly....

- Emiliano Zapata

Unread 08-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Generalleutnant

No way man, that's baloney. Just because we're shooting guns makes it a war movie! I don't think so. I think a "war" movie has to be a movie about an actual war (not a fictional one like Starship Troopers) in which the main characters are participants in the war. So, "Life is Beautiful" isn't a war movie, while "Saving Private Ryan" is. "Aliens" isn't, while "Kelly's Heroes" is.

That's my lawyerly distinction! If Blockbuster had a war movie section, you'd go look for Aliens under Sci-Fi, not the war movie section.

And Gone with the Wind is a war movie! I'm pretty sure I won't find that in the War Movie section of Blockbuster either! :)

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 08-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Generalleutnant

A few more:

1. The Professional (how could I forget this one -- it's got guns so it's a war movie )

2. The Accidental Tourist
3. Lost in Translation (almost the perfect thinky movie -- "what is cheating" -- but for the fact that Bill Murray has the random affair in the middle of it)
4. Pulp Fiction (more guns) (I still love Travolta's "Lava Soap" line when they are washing their hands in the bathroom)
5. Rain Man (the last good Tom Cruise movie)

Last edited by KG_Kharkov; 08-10-2006 at 05:11 PM..
Unread 08-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Generalleutnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Kharkov
A few more:

1. The Professional (how could I forget this one -- it's got guns so it's a war movie )

2. The Accidental Tourist
3. Lost in Translation (almost the perfect thinky movie -- "what is cheating" -- but for the fact that Bill Murray has the random affair in the middle of it)
4. Pulp Fiction (more guns) (I still love Travolta's "Lava Soap" line when they are washing their hands in the bathroom)
5. Rain Man (the last Tom Cruise movie)
I concur with the professional 1000% but if you haven't seen the International version your missing out! I have the International DVD version :)

1. The Last Samurai ( To me, was that last good Cruise Movie )

2. Proof of Life

3. The Usual Suspects ( OMG it was GREAT, IF you haven't seen this movie.... your missing out.... This is what put Kevin Spacey on the map!

4. Bandits ( Bruce Willis & Billy-Bob Thorton ) I laughed so hard....

5. Braveheart ( Going my pal Khar's line of thinking this was a Biography about William Wallace ) My second all-time favorite movie!

- Emiliano Zapata