Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > Military History > World War I

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 04-06-2006, 02:27 AM
General der Panzer

Default The Guns Of August

Many have heard Frank and I discuss this book. Here is a link with a short summary. It can be had for very cheap and is a MUST read for anyone with any interest in the First WW or even the Second. Tuchmann's book reads like a novel, even though some may find the first of it a little slow (but I dig the political aspect). But once you get to the different countries' battle plans, you start to realize how stupid the French were. This book left me pulling for the Germans to win quickly (probably the best thing that could have happened to Europe). The suspence of the narrative is awesome. Tuchmann writes with an almost unmatched stlye as far as keeping the reader interested. I think Frank will concurr: all in all, one of the finest written and fascinating War books ever written.

Heres a link to a review. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_August
P.S. the paperback cost less than $6:50 used.

Last edited by KG_Soldier; 04-06-2006 at 09:52 AM..
Unread 04-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Generalleutnant

I agree. This book reads like a novel and you will find yourself rooting for the Germans. It's a classic and well worth reading. I think I have an old paperback copy in my basement if anyone wants it. Once you've read that, you can read the classic WW1 novel "All's Quiet on the Western Front".

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun

A must read for all. The mindset of the ruling class in Europe at the time was just amazing. These people were such characters. The narrative covering the armies for the planning buildup & then first month of fighting are excellent.

Tuchman is simply a great writer.
Unread 04-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Ive read a couple of good books on the lead up to WW1 starting and have always been facinated and dumbstruck by how it all took place. Id love to read this book. Ill add it to my list of most wanted books.
Unread 04-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Generalleutnant

Kent:

Assuming I haven't donated my paperback copy to the library, I'll dig it out of my basement and send it to you.

JJ

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 04-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Oberstleutnant

I couldnt get past the political part.
I will have to give it another try