Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > Combat Mission

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 07-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Generalleutnant

Default East Front Campaign -- Russian Thread

This thread is reserved for Russian players in Thor's East Front Campaign. If you are not a Russian player, read no further!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Unread 07-09-2005, 04:45 AM
Oberfeldwebel

:D
Unread 07-29-2005, 01:58 AM
Obergefreiter

SITUATION REPORT

Commander Kharkov:

We have probed the German forces situated in the southern parts of Gyorium. It is heavily defended.

All of my heavy artillary was pre-planned and plotted to hit with maximum effect. The two batteries of 81mm mortors were used for laying smoke screens.

The initial pre-planned bombardment hit the Germans hard. However our artillary was answered with what appeared to be a pre-targeted German 300mm incendiary rocket attack. We lost 4 SU76s and one SU76 with gun damaged. We also lost 2 trucks and one 25mm anti-aircraft gun due to the German rocket attack. No other significant losses were noted.

After our own initial artillary bombardment, we moved our T70 platoon (5 tanks) along with a platoon of T34s (3 tanks) up to the city edge to probe the German defenses. We caught a few German squads in the open and cleared them out of a few out-lying structured. We then encountered several Marder IIIs hidden amongst the buildings. We manuevered T70's at speed to close in and knocked out 3 Marders. At that point we encountered several Ferdinands. These monsters took a toll on the probing force, eventually knocking out the T34 platoon and with help from a lone Marder, dispatching all of the 5 T70's.

Conclusion

Again, and as suspected, the Germans have heavily fortified Gyorium. This may indicate that our other future river crossings would be less contested or at least not as heavily defended.

With respect to Gyorium, the German troop and anti-tank gun assest strenghts are still unknown. However, we have identified at least 4 Ferdinands, and others may be present. None of our tanks would offer much of a challenge to these beasts, unless we could close in and strike them from behind. With no intelligence regarding German AT assests ( and infantry for that matter), such an attack would be suicidal. In addition, the terrain offers excellent fields of fire for the Germans and our forces just do not have the strength at this time to attempt such a major assault. We suggest continuance probing to tie down these German units.

We await further orders.
Unread 07-29-2005, 08:28 AM
Generalleutnant

Commander Panther:

Send me a final situation map when you have time. I agree with your assessment of the defensive situation and agree that continued probing attacks are warranted to tie down the forces in the Gyorium area. Do not commit the bulk of our armor to a fruitless assault on the Ferdinands and AT assets if, as you say, the ground is well prepared for defensive action.

I think it unlikely that they have many other significant amounts of uber-tanks like the Ferdinands so hopefully they have committed them to the Gyorium sector.

So 3 34s, 3 76s and 5 70s lost -- not bad to figure out their defenses. We can repair the gun damaged one.

Good round of fighting.
Unread 07-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Oberfeldwebel

Well done on battle completion, only took one night I think?

Crews from knocked out combat vehicles can be moved to the rear on the battlefield, vehicles with main gun damage can be driven off to enter the repair cycle. When I import the map, units remain in place unless the importing process places them a little off from where they should be, and the battle simply continues again for another half hour.
Unread 07-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Obergefreiter

What about "abandoned" vehicles? What is their status?
Unread 07-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Oberfeldwebel

The battlfield has to be in complete control to recover abandoned vehicles.
Unread 08-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Generalleutnant

At the outset, I can meet with any of you on TS to discuss strategy in more detail.

OK, I meant to do assignments last night but yesterday morning I forgot it was my anniversary (doh!). Fortunately, I had pre-planned a weekend activity that saved me (the 2nd always sneaks up on me for some reason). For you single guys, be sure to get married at the end of the month, not the beginning. Trust me -- I walk along thinking "oh it's July, i have plenty of time" and them bam, August is here and I have like one day to do something.

Kharkov battles:

L10: Partisan A Company (no arty) -- this week

*M11: Partisan B Co. and C Co. 39th Gds plus SU85s -- next week (with 82mm arty -- Army level and 82mm arty 39th gaurds battery) -- site of assault boat crossing

Soldier:

*M10: Co. A and B of the 39th gaurds and 42nd Pioneer and T34s and SU85s -- this week (with 152 mm arty --- Army level) -- site of assualt boat crossing

*L8: Airborne Co., Co. A 323rd and 43rd Pioneer and Shermans -- next week (with 152 mm arty -- Army level) -- site of possible bridging operations

Stu:

Gyorium: this week (all previous arty)

*L6: Red Banner, Co. B 323rd and 44th Pioneer and Shermans -- next week (with 82mm arty from 323rd) - site of possible bridging operation

Pat/Jim:

L7: 55th Cossack Co. (no arty) -- either week

Dave:

Can you let me know if I have any remaining uncommitted arty (such as 35th guards or 29th gaurds batteries?).

For each battle with a * next to it, we need to be cautious and try to identify a section of river bank that is hard for the Germans to protect (e.g. they have poor lines of sight to cover it with AT guns), then in the final 15 minutes of the battle, we need to move in force to capture that portion of the bank. This is very important in the assault boat locations. In the locations of possible bridging operations, use your judgment as to how hard to push -- don't throw troops away. In the other battles, just probe and see what the other side has.

Also, the description of forces above is basic. In the larger battles, you will have a lot of extra ancillary units that are assigned to those battalions.
Unread 08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Oberfeldwebel

I noticed stu didnt remove the damaged su76 for repair, but I will just say that it was removed and it is now considered at the repair depot (it has now been there for 30 minutes.
Unread 08-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Generalleutnant

I think we were confused over gun damaged vehicles versus abandoned vehicles -- we can withdraw gun damaged at any time right, and abandoned only when in control of the battelfield.