Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > Military History > World War I

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 05-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun
Default Turkish Genocide in WW1

Allegations of WWI Genocide Irk Turkey By BENJAMIN HARVEY, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 54 minutes ago

Turkey has pulled out of a military exercise in Canada and hinted at economic repercussions against France, stepping up protests of accusations that Turks committed genocide against Armenians during World War I.
Ankara this week briefly recalled ambassadors from NATO allies France and Canada to protest the Canadian prime minister's declaration last month that the killings of Armenians constituted genocide, and a French bill that would outlaw denying that Armenians were genocide victims. The ambassadors returned Thursday after four days in Turkey.
The Turkish Foreign Ministry said Thursday that it was pulling out of an Air Force training exercise in Canada, to which it had been expected to send officers and several F-16 fighters.
"This decision is Turkey's and we would not comment on why they have made this decision," said Pamela Greenwell, a spokeswoman for Canada's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. "Turkey is an important NATO ally and we hope that they will be able to participate in future exercises."
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday held a private meeting in Ankara with representatives of large French firms with investments in Turkey, where he warned of serious harm to relations if the genocide measure was allowed to pass.
Armenians say up to 1.5 million Armenians died or were killed over several years as part of a genocidal campaign to force them out of eastern Turkey. Turkey acknowledges that large numbers of Armenians died, but says the overall figure is inflated and that the deaths occurred in the civil unrest during the collapse of the Ottoman Empire.
Turkey is facing increasing pressure to fully acknowledge the killings, particularly as it seeks membership in the European Union.
But many in Turkey feel that, by using the word genocide to describe the killings, other countries put the Ottoman Turks in the same category as Nazi Germans.
Turkey has made it government policy to fight genocide assertions with diplomatic and economic sanctions if necessary. But it is unclear how far Turks are willing to go, especially if that could mean harming the bid to join the EU.
"Sometimes you talk, then you have to behave according to the way you talk, and you get to a place you never wanted to go in the first place," Ilter Turan, a political scientist at Istanbul Bilgi University, said of whether Turkey would carry through on all of its threats.
Stephen Harper recently became the first Canadian prime minister to publicly declare that the Armenian deaths constituted a genocide. He was expressing his support from a House of Commons resolution in 2004 characterizing them as such.
Turkey sent a parliamentary delegation to Paris this week and Turkish chambers of commerce sent letters to their counterparts in France pleading for help and warning of a boycott.
If passed, the French bill, to be voted on May 18, would make it a crime to deny that Turks committed genocide against Armenians. A similar law forbids the denial of the Jewish Holocaust in World War II.
In 2001, Turkey, which has no diplomatic ties with Armenia, canceled millions of dollars worth of defense deals with French companies after lawmakers in France recognized the Armenian killings as genocide.
A Turkish court this year dropped charges against the country's best-known novelist, Orhan Pamuk, who went on trial for "insulting Turkishness" after he said Turks have killed more than a million Armenians and more than 30,000 Kurds. He could have faced up to three years in prison.
The United States, which has a large Armenian diaspora community, has not declared the killings a genocide.
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Oberstleutnant

If Im not mistaken the Kaiser pretended to become a muslim to help the
Turkish Jihad along.
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:58 PM
General der Panzer

You are certainly mistaken. William II was a fanatical Lutheran who believed he was divinely chosen to rule. He also believed all his decisions were controlled by God and therefore couldn't be wrong--kind of like Rob's Pope.

Last edited by KG_Soldier; 05-12-2006 at 12:08 PM..
Unread 05-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

It seems typical of much of Europe to obsess about what happened 60 to 100 years ago and then mandate that everyone think, act and speak alike about it. One would think that they would be much more concerned with what's happening today. By way of example a more relevant issue might be how the Turks currently treat the Kurds and Armenians (if any are left) within and adjacent to their borders.

This reminds me of the discussion on a Battlefront forum thread about the Downfall movie. Some Europeans expressed that it was shocking that anyone could imagine that Hitler might have had a single, albeit insignificant, good human quality--such as being very fond of his dog. Further, if he did like his dog, that fact should never be uttered because only bad things, true or untrue, can be said about Hitler. I'm thankful that in the US, except for the PC crowd, we not afraid to discuss and debate the facts and are confidant that the overall conduct of persons such as Hitler and Stalin speak loudly with regard to the monstrosity that each was.

Last edited by KG_Jag; 05-11-2006 at 11:23 PM..
Unread 05-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Yes by God, its true! Hitler loved his dog Blondie. And shhhh! Dont spread this around, but errr.... I hear tell that Stalins old lady said his mustach tickled when he kissed her! For shame!
Unread 05-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Oberstleutnant

I said "Pretended", I should have said pretended while trying to woo Turkey into joining the war on Germanys side. I did see this on the History International channel maybe I have the "Kaiser " mistaken for someone else. It was on a History International WW1 show about Turkish Jihad
Unread 05-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Well Steve, I wouldnt be suprised if you heard it right and they got it wrong. Over the last 3 or so years the 2 History channels and the Military channel have suprised me with the number of mistakes they have made.
Unread 05-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Oberstleutnant

Very true Kent sometimes they seem to have a habit of making History
P.C. or even some "Revisionist History"
Unread 05-12-2006, 05:21 PM
General der Panzer

That Kaiser Wilhelm II would even act like he wasn't Christian would greatly suprise me, but you never know. I've never heard of anything like that before but will check into it.