Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > Military History > World War I

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 12-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Default The United States Remains Neutral During World War I

With the Russians defeated in the east, how does the US sitting it out affect the war in the west; the outcome of the war; and the subsequent 90 years or so? Does World War II happen? If so, is it much different than the one in our history?
Unread 12-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun

The Germans were exhausted after their 1918 offensive. Manpower shortages, naval blockades, supply shortages-all were taking their toll.

Besides, the AEF made up less than 10% of the entire Allied force at the height of it's power in June (I think). Something like 7 divisions out of 178 total Allied divisions.

I think we certainly quickened the war's ending, but I think the British & French could've won without us.

How it effects the next 90 years I have no clue. Mark?
Unread 12-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

I agree with you Frank. Where we would of made a difference would of been in the event of the Germans being able to hold on for a longer period of time and then the AEF could of been built up into a much larger force to be used in a massive attack on a selected weak point in the German defenses.
Unread 12-06-2006, 12:35 AM
General der Panzer

The most significant impact of the U.S. entering the war was monetary. The French and English were flat broke. Not to make light of the doughboy's military contribution, but their sheer presence boosted Brit and French morale and shattered German hope of ending the war. Would the Germans have won? probably not.More than likely, neither would the Allies, thus a war that could only end with a compromise. A.J.P. Taylor explores this possibility in-depth in his masterpiece, "Origins of the First World War," great book.
Unread 12-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun

To take KG_Soldier's point in another direction (monetary), had the U.S. not entered WW I, perhaps the Great Depression would've happened earlier than it did without the support of Liberty Bonds, which raised billions of dollars for the war effort & stimulated industry. Or perhaps without relying on these bonds & their subsequent economic effect, maybe our country would've taken a different path which would've averted the Depression alltogether?

Would Wilson have gone to Paris in 1919 to create the League of Nations which was later replaced by the U.N., had the U.S. not been actively involved militarily?
Unread 12-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

I agree with Mark that the most likely outcome of the US staying neutral is a negotiated peace to World War I. The Great Depression came more than a decade after the end of World War I and after the prosperous years of the roaring 20's as a result of the stock market crash. So I believe it would have occurred whether or not the US joined the Allies. But that just serves as the opening to many more questions. Some of these are:

1. What would the post war world look like? Would Germany regain her African and Pacific territories? What would become of Austria-Hungary and the Balkans?

2. Germany would almost certainly maintain its new territories in the east. Would it have an impact on the Russian revolution? Would the country that made it possible for Lenin to return to Russia back him, the whites or play some other political card, or none at all?

3. Would the world wide depression have an impact on the map and governments of Europe?

4. Would there be a second world war for domination of Europe, to defeat Communism, or for some other reason or reasons?