Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > The Depot > SSpoom's Basement

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 07-18-2005, 06:57 AM
General der Panzer

Default Book Review -- Hans Fallada "Little Man, What Now?"

I read this book a few years ago and think one of you may find it interesting. It's an unusual book for a couple of reasons. Published in 1933 before the Nazis came to power, it's the story of a young Prussian middleclass man who's trying to support his new wife and child. Fallada writes in the tradition of Crane in that he is very much a realist (many call Crane a naturalist, but I think naturalism is just extreme realism). The story, though fiction, is actually a true piece of history because it's written without political agenda and during the turbulent times of rampant inflation, decadence, and unemployment toward the end of the Weimar Republic. Even in translation, Fallada draws Han's and "Bunny's" ("Liebchen" in the German version ) love for each other with tremendous power, and the book reads so realistically you feel you're emersed in the decadent and radicle final days of Weimer Germany. Struggles betweeen fascist and communist undertone the whole book. I have a copy and will be glad to send it ( If they promise to return it; it's one of my most prized, though only a paperback) to anyone interested, or you can get it at this link for about 4 bucks.

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.../> KG_Soldier[/i]
Unread 07-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Default Re: Book Review -- Hans Fallada "Little Man, What Now?&

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Soldier
Fallada died of a morphine overdose in Berlin in 1947 and was never recogmized as a prolific writer in his day.
on a darker side i think its quite ironic that he was compared to Stephen Crane, when the above mentioned author died of a morphine overdose and Crane was addicted morphine, among his other personal problems.

ill have to check out that book. sounds good. BTW, i love Crane's work, dispite his personal problems, which in some ways, made him an even better writer IMHO.
Unread 07-20-2005, 06:44 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun

Thanks for the tip Soldier. I may check this one out.

Have you ever read any Gunther Grass? If not I highly recommend him. I think you would really appreciate his work. The Tin Drum is a classic. Check out his biography at least.