Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > Boardgames & Tabletop games

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 01-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Generalleutnant

Default Carcassone

I got a tile laying game named Carcassone for Christmas. It's produced by Rio Grande games and made by a German guy whose name eludes me. The concept is pretty simple -- you pick tiles and connect them to other tiles to form a map. Depending on what you create and complete -- roads, towns, farms -- you get points.

I think it is a great game and costs only about $25. The reason I'm posting is that it is one of the few games that my wife actually likes. It's simple enough to get her interested, but complex enough to keep me interested. It's a fine balance. The rules are only 4 pages long and each game takes probably 45 minutes.

It would be a great way for Koz to get something rewarding out of watching an episode of Judging Amy with his wife.
Unread 01-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

sounds cool.

if you like deceptively "simple games" that have an underlaying level of strategy for those who wish to persue it, check out "settlers of cattan", thats an awesome game.
Unread 01-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber (Ret.)
Oberst

Send a message via MSN to KG_AGCent
Default Re: Carcassone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Kharkov
I got a tile laying game named Carcassone for Christmas. It's produced by Rio Grande games and made by a German guy whose name eludes me. The concept is pretty simple -- you pick tiles and connect them to other tiles to form a map. Depending on what you create and complete -- roads, towns, farms -- you get points.

I think it is a great game and costs only about $25. The reason I'm posting is that it is one of the few games that my wife actually likes. It's simple enough to get her interested, but complex enough to keep me interested. It's a fine balance. The rules are only 4 pages long and each game takes probably 45 minutes.

It would be a great way for Koz to get something rewarding out of watching an episode of Judging Amy with his wife.
Is it me or is there something just completely foreign to the idea of watching a a TV show like that? Not the watching of the show (different strokes for different folks), but being required to watch something that is so personally uninteresting or distasteful on an ongoing basis is just odd to me. I would prefer to sit and have a conversation with said loved one rather than spend the time staring a luminescent tube in the same room for an hour and saying nothing.

Now the real pur[ose for this response was to talk about a game that I had played over the Thankgiving holiday with my uncle. it was a board game faintly reminiscent of Othello but not nearly as greek. And as soon as I can remember the name of it, I will write about it and even post a link to it as I thought, at the time, that it would be a great tactical primer for young ones and even adults. I found myself amazed by the complexity found underneath the simple rules. More later.
Unread 01-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Generalleutnant

So what was the name of the game?
Unread 01-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber (Ret.)
Oberst

Send a message via MSN to KG_AGCent

The name of the game is Gobblet. Do a google search and you'll find it. Takes 5 minute to learn but my uncle and I played for hours. It is a game of feints and trickery as well as strategy.