Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > Boardgames & Tabletop games

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 11-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Generalleutnant

Default Band of Heroes -- VASSAL instructions

All, here are the instructions I sent Frank in case any of you are also interested:

Lock N Load is a wargame series using an impulse based action system -- which is a fancy way of saying each player takes alternating "impulses" within a game turn activating units -- this is different from squad leader and many other games where typically one side moves all its units and attacks while the other side defends (and then vice versa). This gives the game a more simultaneous feel to it. The first two modules covered Vietnam era combat. Band of Heroes is the third module in the system and the first to deal with WW2. It is a stand-alone game. You do not need to own the other LNL products to play this. BoH comes with 6 boards, tons of cool counters a slew of scenarios, a rulebook and a few other odds and ends. Download the PDF demo from the main page of the Lock N Load site. Pages 11 to 32 contain the full rules for LNL (all that are omitted are Vietnam specific rules which obviously you don't need).

The Lock N Load site has an animated example of play -- it's the third news item down on the main page.

Vassal is a game engine that allows you to play board games in cyber space. Think of VASSAL as your cyber gaming table and each module as the specific game you put on that table. You get VASSAL at www.vassalengine.org. Just click the quick launch link on the left and it will install. I put mine in my Programs folder and created a folder called VASSAL to house it in. Once that's done, create a sub-folder in your VASSAL folder and name it Modules. Create another one and call it "Saved Games". The following link takes you to a basic tutorial for installing modules for VASSAL: http://wiki.vassalengine.org/doku.php?id=getting_started:getting_started

Now, go to the Lock N Load site and download the Band of Heroes module for Vassal here: http://www.locknloadgame.com/lnl_download4.htm

Unzip the module file and take the .mod file and place it in your VASSAL-Modules sub folder that you just created. You will also find some VASSAL user information in the LNL download that you just downloaded.

Now, open VASSAL. After putting in user information (your user name and password), click on Load Module (this step may be reversed -- don't have vassal at work). Load the BOH module from your module folder. Then click File -- New Game. You will now be asked to pick a board. Pick any board, and then click on the Counters tab at the top. Click and drag counters onto the map and voila -- instant game.

Once you do all this, let me know and we'll get on TS to connect you with the VASSAL server.

Mark and I were saying that this game is perfect for multiplayer.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 11-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Purple and gray dont mix. My eyes almost crossed themselves trying to read those links LOL.
Unread 02-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun

I'm bumping this thread since we're going play it & I've also stumbled upon this very good review at the ACG.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/artic...&p=2483&page=1
Unread 02-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Generalleutnant

I now believe there is a direct link from the Band of Heroes website (in the downloads section) which will take you directly to downloading VASSAL.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 02-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Generaloberst

I DL'd the free printable version of the game that has the instructions with it and John's ASL scenario too! LOL.

Now i need to get VASSAL.

I also made John a nice present the other day. If we all get rolling and playing this game, ill do the same for everyone who has the game. Here is an example of what im talking about -

Unread 02-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Generalleutnant

These are completely awesome counters. How can this not make you excited to at least download VASSAL and see what the boards and pieces are like.

Unread 02-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Generaloberst

Im sure we'll get quite the reaction out of the first counter, lol. I just realized the innuendo.
Unread 02-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Generaloberst

I'll have to go to my Nephews place to DL VASSAL. Its a 30 Meg DL.
Unread 02-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun

http://65.165.24.1/_store/download.asp?Category=12

Band Of Heros Complete VASSAL MOD
File contains complete VASSAL MOD and helptext in one file. 19MB

Is this what I need? Anything else?
Unread 02-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Generalleutnant

Assuming you have the actual VASSAL program installed, this is all you need to download.

VASSAL is your game table.

The module is your game.