Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > General Discussion

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 02-23-2005, 05:03 PM
KG_Wiking

Default General Overlook

I wanted to play around with this mod so I just did a solo battle just to see how the interface works and give some general impressions.

The first is I love the layout of the starting positions. One of the weaknesses of SAS mod in particular was the nakedness of the Northern Flank which is where a breakout can occur very easily and can't be contained. Dima seems to have to done his HW about this and has put the units located where they were historically, which happily makes play balance on a strategic level much more effective.

Okay some things I've noted...
German armor is downgraded significantly. The German have a lot of second line tanks, which is again historically correct. The STUGs are not around nearly in as much proportion as they are in the SAS mod.

German AT guns are wicked. A PAK can really lay a punch on armor. Get a crew some experience and they will tear holes in US armor.

Germans have much more squad AT than base and SAS. Many teams have panzerfausts. The weaker OST units also have some old AT Rifles, which is better than nothing I suppose. Be careful of Panzerfausts in the hands of the Fusiliers and more experienced Grenadieres. They are lethal when you have a flank shot at close range. The Schreks are very good, but their a bit more unwieldy than SAS and GJS. Be careful when using them in SMALL buildings.

The SS groups do NOT have Tigers and Panthers. They get STUG's whichi is historically accurate.

German Infantry is more diversified. There are more teams to pick from, similar to GJS than Base game and SAS. There is much more AT at the squad level. The OST troops have better numbers and will fare a bit better, but the map will hurt them. The game uses the base maps, though some may be used in the final beta.

Mortars for both sides are more powerful. They do a better job at supression. I also noted that the range is important. You need distance to use them, unlike GJS, base game and SAS.

US Airborne are very limited on the first day. They have NO HEAVY WEAPONS AT ALL until reinforced. The 82nd boys are very tough with a vicious morale and experience factor. They stand out in their ability to concentrate accurate small arms fire. 101 Abn is a step below the 82nd overall due to this being their first live operation. German FJ are a mixed bag. Some are tough, but many are inexperienced. German FJ have a more diversified weapon cache, but they are not fully automatic, as was the case in SAS. US Airborne utilizes almost semi automatic fire to the near exclusion of automatic weapons, which does more accurately reflect US Army doctrine.

Naval and aerial are purely devastating. The air strikes now come with two planes and really pack a punch. Be careful about bunching up German forces, because it is no longer a popgun. When a plane with 50 cal comes along 12 of them fire at you. Enough said. The naval fire has more of a spread but a lot more punch. It can wipe out a lot on a direct hit.

The pathing seems okay, but I've not used it extensively as of yet.

This mod may not be some of your favorite because it uses stock maps. However, I know maps are planned for the final release. I'm not sure which testers are using those maps.

The sounds are very good. Distinct from any mod of the Normandy series as far as I can tell. That awful BWAH is gone.

This mod looks like a keeper.....then again I've only done a few battles and in solo mode.

KG Wiking