Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > General Discussion

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 04-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Feldwebel

I JUST DL'd the demo- and after struggling with the camera & facings finally got my units to move forward. (How I back up I'm not sure)

No clue what else is happening yet: riders keep coming up telling me stuff I have no idea how to respond to. Rebel formations are marching back & forth across a road to my front and sides, enemy leaders carrying flags are riding THRU my lines that I can't shoot at (so far). And some friendly units are fight their way towards me (although they could be retreating I can't tell the difference).

Either way it's chaos everywhere I look except behind me and I keep looking back expecting to be surrounded any moment.

Questions about everything as you'd expect, main map is confusing too, although how to "see" elevation would be helpful.

Can you MP in the demo? It looks like a blast.

I sure hope there's a good tutorial someplace...

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barrack Obama

''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Oberstleutnant

Kerry,
The demo is part of the tutorial.
I think the tutorial is 4 or 5 parts.
Mouse scroll button goes up and down
Hold the right mouse button and you can use the mouse to spin map around.
W A S D move the map around just like shooter controls.
, and . keys rotate youre troops.
The directional keys allow you to tree through the command structure.
You can play the demo multiplayer.
The guys riding up to you are couriers that are used to bring orders from your
commanders or to send messages to your teammates and stay within the
scope of not having tanks or radios =)
The guys riding through youre lines are leaders, you cant actually target them
but they can be killed during combat.
The game take a bit to get used to the feel but it gets way easier.
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Feldwebel

I played the demo 3 times now - the first I had to stop halfway.
I just got a fast glimpse (for some reason) of the keyboard controls. Can't really be called a tutorial (starts with part 2 at that) since it gives just a couple of hints at what you should do- not how you should do them.

I routed the Rebs twice: the first time I chased the HQ (all I could see) clear across the map to no avail- the game just ended.

The second time I surrounded the reb force & forced their surrender- but the HQ just rode away! I then got a message that more enemy troops had been spotted advancing and I traded some action with them (a massive formation) before the time ran out. {Major victory although I was nowhere near that floating "eagle" victory marker during the battle.}

I suppose the full game makes more sence as the other Union troops charged right into/ along and back threw my lines a couple of times. I don't know what their orders were. I don't know if there are "stacking" rules but it was a huge tangle of men going every which way until I managed to organize my men into column and march out of their way. (They probably think I should have been dismissed for being drunk.)

I was a little surprised to see my troops disappear into what I thought was a road twice- turns out they are streams - brown ones. They could have added a bit of blue water running along them...

I played mostly from above so I could see the majority of my command & toggled the trees off & on to see the enemy- BUT I had to turn them back on to see where the stone walls & woods borders ended etc. Plays a bit like CM, go up to see what's happening & then come down to view for details.

I'm sure there's some even terrain bonus or other as well as having my HQ near my guys.

Fun demo, the pace is slow which is good, giving me some time to scan all my units & give some "good" orders to each one.

I'll have to check out the price on this one, the MP is surely a blast to play- is it voice "chat" or a typing? OR delayed typing?

Unread 04-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Feldwebel

Hey-

I see this has a "DRM" is that the same type DRM that the new CM:N is supposed to have?

Meaning, I can't move the game to a new PC if the company goes under?

Unread 04-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Oberstleutnant

Yeah some of what looks like road from above are really gullies when you go down to ground level. Definately like CM there where although you can play from top you need to get down on the ground to win. Yes there are the typical advantages for terrain and leadership and such. Very much so infact.

The stacking and jumble you were talking about is possibly just not having a good grasp of how to get control of your men, deploy them properly and in time to avoid a jumble like you problably saw. This takes some time and the tutorials that come with the full version help your feel of the game controls and troop controls tremendously.
You also may have been able to actually take command of the guys moving back and forth.

You can control everything or just 1 unit depending on what level of command you are playing as...I.E. you may be playing in a scenario against the computer and be Robert E Lee and its just you giving orders to leaders and letting them fight it out or you taking control at hot spots or even controlling everyone at one time.
On the other hand it can be you and your brigade against the computer during the action at the devils den, which may have 10000s of men fighting of which you may have 1200 . But we can also play that same scenario online and you have your 1200 man Brigade in the Devils den Soldier and Robertsons Brigade of Texans, Kharkov and Andersons brigade, Jag Laws brigade. They are trying to push you out or take the round tops.

While you are trying to hold them out of the den Im marching Strong Vincents brigade and the 20th maine up little round top Koz is marching his Pennsylvania Brigade through the wheatfield to your aid and Swampy has his Minn brigade marching to hot spots.

You can chat in the game but its wide open ...no team chat all typing.
To communicate with youre teammates there is a courrier system where you have a bunch of basic but good orders,request and situational messages
which you send by rider.
These can be Intercepted by the enemy =)
Wagons for reloading.
Morale and fatigue factors are affected by the surrounding conditions
and what youask or order your men to do.
I dont know awhole lot about DRMs you do have to activate this online.
As far as going out of business, thats tricky.
Im not really so concerned that it would have kept me from getting this game. Its not obtrusive just when you activate the copy, deactivate a copy from 1 machine to move to other copy on another
machine does it have to be online.
From what I can tell from hanging out at the TC forums and then Norbsofts SOW forums
they would make the DRM inactive if they were to fold...but I cant promise that.

Last edited by KG_SSpoom; 04-12-2010 at 10:08 PM..
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Leutnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_SSpoom View Post
Wagons for reloading.
I clicked on the ammo wagons, but they are controlled by the game engine. how do I use them to my advantage??

Also, some of the regiments have a gun support icon, how do I take advantage of the guns??
Unread 04-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Oberstleutnant

The ammo wagons in the demo are problably computer controlled and may not even be from your brigade, which would mean you can use them to reload.
When you are allocated a wagon you can march your soldiers up to it and there
is a bullet icon on the orders page click it when you are close to your wagon and the guys will march up to the wagon and replenish ammo.
For artillery you just drive the wagon up to the caisons (or over) and the guns will replenish their ammo.
As far as the "gun" Icon Im not sure what that is (which icon) ill look and see.
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Oberstleutnant

The wagons I saw in the demo tutorial were computer controlled but if you could find one
stationary I think you could have used it to re-arm. In the regular game I think
you get a wagon at division command level but possibly at times Brigade level.
The only "gun" icons I saw were green and on the Brigade commander.
There are 3 gun Icons that I saw
The solo is a Brigade probe command
The 2 crossed is a Brigade attack command
The 2 crossed with the arrowhead above it is the all out attack button.
Th buttons below are defensive commands(Brigade level)

1 Important thing to remember is the FLAG icon on every unit that falls under your command, when you click this button(flag) you take control away from the a.i. for that unit and have to do most things for it. The unit will be micromanageable when you activate this button.
With it unlit the unit will obey canned commands from his leader and will react better to
circumstances and enemies around them while staying generally where you order them to go. When the flag for a regiment is active it will not heed the brigade commanders "group" commands. But it will do exactly what you tell it untill it routes or breaks.
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Leutnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_SSpoom View Post
The wagons I saw in the demo tutorial were computer controlled but if you could find one
stationary I think you could have used it to re-arm. In the regular game I think
you get a wagon at division command level but possibly at times Brigade level.
The only "gun" icons I saw were green and on the Brigade commander.
There are 3 gun Icons that I saw
The solo is a Brigade probe command
The 2 crossed is a Brigade attack command
The 2 crossed with the arrowhead above it is the all out attack button.
Th buttons below are defensive commands(Brigade level)

1 Important thing to remember is the FLAG icon on every unit that falls under your command, when you click this button(flag) you take control away from the a.i. for that unit and have to do most things for it. The unit will be micromanageable when you activate this button.
With it unlit the unit will obey canned commands from his leader and will react better to
circumstances and enemies around them while staying generally where you order them to go. When the flag for a regiment is active it will not heed the brigade commanders "group" commands. But it will do exactly what you tell it untill it routes or breaks.
By a fluke, I managed to get a regiment close to a ammo wagon, and they did rearm.

In the grander scheme of things, a unit not under my command, broke and routed to behind 1 of my regiments and they managed to get themselfs reformed.

In a attempt to gain experience, I sent a regiment on a mission flanking a reb regiment.
They sneaked into position in defilade, changed to line formation, and attacked.
The attacked regiment cracked and fled, unhinging the reb main battle line, which also fled.

Fun stuff, I'm at least getting better navigating in the terrian......
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Oberstleutnant

Try this,

When you have a unit whichever one you pick any regiment,
the center of the command bar has 4 icons at top
the one on the right is order of battle.
Click on this and it will tell you all about the unit.
Quality, strengths, caualties both caused and taken.

Getting the feel of how the units move around
individually and in groups is a key. Movement is a big key
to combat effectiveness