Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > Combat Mission

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 05-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun
Default Mission Accomplished

Well, after 17 months of historical research, learning how to create operations, map editing and playtesting, my baby has finally been born.

The Battle of Kapitanovka

There are many different battles that could be covered during the Korsun Pocket. Obviously one that stands out would be Manstien's III Panzerkorps attempt to free the pocket. After reading Hell's gate then going back to it again and again, one battle kept sticking out in mind- the first one. While other clashes were taking place along the Axis MLR at the same time, the town of Kapitanovka was a major road hub into the pocket that was critical for the Russians capturing.

Several kilometers in front of the town was a weary defensive line held by the 389th Infantry Division. Ordered to hold their positions, by the end of the first day of battle, their regiments virtually ceased to exist, save for rag tag formations that found their way back to safer ground. Their sacrifice made it possible for the arrival of the 108th Pnzr. Gren. Rgt. to arrive at Kapitanovka. The 108th in turn held out for the arrival of the 14th Panzer Division, which was ordered along with other divisions to counter attack from the south. Holding the town also made it possible for other formations to use it's road hub to shift men and material.

In the end, the 108th was forced to retreat from Kapitanovka where it roamed the pocket, sometimes cut off from all other German forces, supporting itself by any means possible. Eventually it along with the remains of the 389th ID found it's way out of the pocket.

This operation tries it's best to cover the first 3 hours of initial contact between the Russians and the German defenders of Kapitanovka. Each side has a battle briefing which contains a rule set. The rules are easy to understand and essential in keeping the scenario historically accurate. The rules also force the player to adhere to the realism of a non-stop 1st day attack. In other words, while this is an operation, it is in fact a fluid battle with no pauses. Great care was taken in representing every single German and Russian formation as it should've been during this battle. I've referenced many sources, including-

Hell’s Gate, by Douglas E. Nash

The German Order of Battle: Infantry in WW2
The German Order of Battle: Panzers and Artillery in WW2
The German Order of Battle: Waffen SS and Other Units in WW2, by George F. Nafziger
The Soviet Order of Battle: 12 Volume Set, by C. Sharp

The map is to scale and historically accurate. (I think, lol).

Thank you to KG_Panzerschreck for his excellent work in creating the forested areas of the map. Thank you to KG_Swampfox for his many hours of discussion about the historical aspects of Korsun and months of play testing.

It is my hope that this will be KG's next MP game. It's 6 battles long, 30 turns each (fixed).
Unread 05-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Great news Frank! I'm looking forward to giving this puppy a spin! Too bad CMMODS is still down. This one needs to be played in winter dress.
Unread 05-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Congrats Franky! im glad this bad boy is done. i know how much time and effort you put into this and i cant wait to play it. :D

as always im glad to lend a helping hand whenever and however i can. im glad i could help you out. :)

Maybe for your next project me and you could team up to do the Kurland pocket Battles? lol. :shock:
Unread 05-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Generalleutnant

That's awesome, Frank!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations. I look forward to seeing it/playing it.

JJ
Unread 05-09-2005, 10:24 AM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Frank's operation is now available at both the CM Scenario Depot and at the KG CM web site.

Someone beat me to it at the CM Scenario Depot, as I was the second person to download it.
Unread 05-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun

Umm,

Anyone who downloaded this scenario this morning should delete it and try again. I just caught a last minute revision that had to be made. It's ok now though,.... :roll:

Thanks.

@Jag

It was my intention to release the scenario with the best winter mods I could find, but that will have to be a later addition.
Unread 05-10-2005, 01:15 AM
General der Panzer

I'm in on the multiplayer--since there are no Romainians.
Unread 05-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Obergefreiter

Great job Frank!!!! A truly monumentous task. Can't wait to play it!
Unread 05-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Oberfeldwebel

I'd love to get in on a multi player of this too!

lots of hard work Frank,,good job!
Unread 05-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

me tooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: