Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > The Depot > SSpoom's Basement

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
General der Panzer

So you thought "Lord of the Rings" was a freakin' joke because it had Hobbits, Elves, and Trolls? This movie is pure fantasy based on a historical event. It makes no claims to be factual or realistic.
Unread 01-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_CrimsonTrooper Send a message via Yahoo to KG_CrimsonTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Soldier View Post
So you thought "Lord of the Rings" was a freakin' joke because it had Hobbits, Elves, and Trolls? This movie is pure fantasy based on a historical event. It makes no claims to be factual or realistic.
HUH?????????

I loved LOTR!

- Emiliano Zapata

Unread 03-08-2007, 01:40 PM
KG_RCT_TacCovert4

We had an advance showing at the University Tuesday Night. From What I heard from the History Dept Students that attended (I had to work even though I got one of the tickets) it was a bit flat. There was a lot of potential for a good movie there, but it tended to be a bit flat. There were actually suggestions of *aghast* Colin Ferrel playing Leonidas instead of the actor playing him.
Unread 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Generalleutnant

I'm going to see it tomorrow. It's a pure fantasy version of the actual historic battle. Kind of like the second half of Saving Private Ryan is a pure fantasy version of Normandy conflict. Just because 7 guys hold off a horde of Nazis totally contrary to logical thinking based on the absurd premise doesn't make it a bad movie. Same with Indiana Jones -- pretty sure the Nazis weren't carrying the Arc of the Covenant around during WW2.

That said, if you want a phenomenal historical version of this battle, read "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield. Hands down -- the best standalone historical fiction book I've read. There you will get your Spartans in full battle armor holding a mountain pass with questionable allies against a gigantic Persian force. Come on -- treat yourself -- it's recommended by the former Commandant of the Marine Corps! For $7.99, you will get an unforgettable book experience -- I guarantee it.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
General der Panzer

I'm going to see it at the Imax theatre in San Antonio on Sunday.
Unread 03-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_CrimsonTrooper Send a message via Yahoo to KG_CrimsonTrooper

Stu and I are going next week because of his case load....

Any others in the OC area are welcome!

- Emiliano Zapata

Unread 03-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Leutnant

Believe it or not, I saw it last nite in Balad, Republic of Iraq last nite, I'll save comments on it till the group has seen it.

I read Steven Pressfields "gates of Fire" just before seeing it, the book was great, even for a novel...
Unread 03-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Generalleutnant

Great to hear from you, Pat.

I just saw it and will wait til others see it.

I will say that I liked "Gates of Fire" better.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 03-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Pat, I'm glad to see that are a few perks for you guys serving your country and in harms way. I wish there were far more.
Unread 03-16-2007, 11:54 AM
General der Panzer

Taken for what it is -- a graphic onslaught -- I liked it. The dialog isn't great and niether is the soundtrack, but the visuals are great.