Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > Military History > World War II

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 07-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber (Ret.)
Oberst

Send a message via MSN to KG_AGCent
Default End of Hostilities

When Germany surrendered in '45 can anyone give me an idea of what the Soviet manpower situation was? I realize their front line units were in fairly good shape but I have read accounts that say their strategic reserve was nearly bled white. Is there any truth to this?
Unread 07-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun

Richard Overy from what I have learned in recent months is a good source for numbers. You'll recall I was first introduced to this author by my "go-around" with Full Monty. We covered all of this ground in several exchanges here-

http://www.kampfgruppe.us/showthread.php?t=4396

in particular, page 5, post #43.

a good estimate is 16.13 million were left in all capacities of the Soviet military in May of 1945. That's all branches. I don't have the breakdowns, but I imagine you could take an educated guess.
Unread 07-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber (Ret.)
Oberst

Send a message via MSN to KG_AGCent

OK, those numbers make sense, but... did they have more they could draw on or were their RESERVES bled dry? When you look at the numbers, the US still hadn't dipped too deeply into its available manpower, men ages 18-39 at least not even remotely to the extent Germany, Soviets and even the UK had.
Unread 07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Stabsgefreiter

the final push into Berlin was the last of the Soviets warfighting manpower.

DOCUMENT C: Soviet Military Weaknesses Source: U.S. Intelligence Report (1945)

A 1945 U.S. intelligence report listed Soviet military weaknesses and, after each one, the time required to correct each problem. The report assumed that the Soviets would not risk a major war until these weaknesses had been corrected. Their conclusion was that the Soviets would not risk such a war for about fifteen years.

War losses in manpower and industry: 15 years
Lack of technicians: 5 years
Lack of long-range bombers to reach Europe or the United States: 5-10 years
Lack of a modern navy: 15-20 years for a war involving major naval operations (for example, an attack on the United States)
Poor condition of railway and military transportation systems and equipment: 10 years
Adequate preparation of oil, rail and industrial centers against long-range bombers: 5- 10 years
Lack of an atomic bomb: 5 years
Resistance in occupied countries: 5 years or less
Military weakness in Asia: 15-20 years