Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > General Discussion

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 03-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Fahnenjunker Unteroffizier

so...what happens after April 12th? Can we still play "free" or will there be a cost associated with normal play.
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Feldwebel

It's F2P, so we can still play but no more free gold (250 per day or exchanging Gold of Exp points or buying premium ammo & equipment) so the climb up the ladder to new tanks & standard equipment will be a long, long, long one.

To me it will all depend on how must better "premium" stuff is vs. standard stuff or if you can just play standard only matches. I expect premium players will get new maps & tanks that standard can't get.

I might spend $10 or so if they have specials like they do in LotRO for maps if they are "good" ones.

Right now my graphic card is completely shot; I can't even get a Doc. page to show properly (on my wife's PC now). So I can't access my WOT account.

The "talk" is that players will go "Premium" just long enough to get the tank they want then after that will spend no money for the game. That sounds like me, because it will take extremely long to get @50k for just a nice basic Tier 5 tank (after needing to get 10K for lvl 1 /then another 20k for lvl2 30K for lvl 3 etc...): to get a Tier 8+ could take years for @350k. PLUS getting the needed research points to first "research” them.

So, WoT will have to go to a monthly fee to survive, that sounds about right.

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barrack Obama

''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Oberstleutnant

Well I was almost going to get it till the whole fee thing popped up.
I hate monthly fee games.
Unread 03-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Feldwebel

I'd still jump in and play, who know how long- if ever, they go to a monthly fee.
It's a blast to play.

What's Koz's review of it?

Unread 03-20-2011, 09:59 PM
General der Panzer

I played with it a little. Seems like an arcade game to me.
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Stabsgefreiter

I find it to be a lot of fun, but somewhat similiar to a first person shooter. So, I can definitely understand Mark's analogy to an arcade game. In my opinion, improvement is based more on having a better/upgraded tank and on superior technique. When playing solo, there is no real strategy.

Realism wise, its lacking because there are no combined arms. Its all tank vs tank.

Now, if there was a group playing in a cohesive manner (the way we all used to play games like Call of Duty) there is some real potential to introduce strategy.

I can play it for about an hour before getting a headache. Kinda like the shooters!

Again, its fun. I've been playing it quite a bit over the last day and i'm close to upgrading to a PZKW III.
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Fahnenjunker Unteroffizier

Saw you out there Koz...I finaly upgraded from Pz II to a III, now Im hoping to get to the Pz IV before the wipe
Unread 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Feldwebel

Group play and any real tactics will come with the clan battles.
I wouldn't pass over playing the game until we get to see the 25km maps & the action on them. Isn't there another WW2 MMO set in Europe with a massive map scale? That has everything in it Airpower/Inf/Trucks etc. I just remember one of the complaints that if you die it could take an hour walking to get back to the action unless someone had trained as a truck driver. That just never caught my eye but for some reason I like WoT.

You get the arguments from players that this is "World of TANKS" not "World of infantry or artillery & tanks." I see their point, but I also see the potential to expand the game into something more. Of course then the developers will have to make the inside of buildings & the dynamics of individual soldiers etc.

I like the game for what it is, something I can jump into and play intensely for as long as I want (almost to the minute) and then take as long or as short of a break I like. I can also play each match as I want, from hiding in the back & dropping in Arty to sneaking in my TD to being in the front with a "tank."

The random maps keep the game from getting on my nerves (having to play ONLY on a map I hate). I can fight through a bad map knowing that a better one is on the way (I hope!)

I tried to load the game on my wife’s PC but it locks up each time during the download so I'll have to wait till I get a new graphic card in to play again.

Unread 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Stabsgefreiter

After posting last night, I noticed that I was eligible to upgrade to PZIII. Holy smokes, they dump undergunned pz III's in battles with some real heavy hitters! There are a lot more 1-shot kills now that favor longer guns. My short-barrel PZIII is pretty pathetic in a frontal confrontation so I decided to try to sneak around in an effort to get side/rear shots.

My success wasw pretty limited because it seems that I am spotted almost immediately. Plus, my pee wee PZIII's main gun cannot seem to penetrate the side/rear armor any better than it can penetrate frontal armor. Seeing Marder's take side/rear hits and still function, I wonder if this is being modelled correctly.

What's up with the ultra-accurate indirect fire! In many of the battles, AFV's with indirect fire capability are racking up the most armor kills. I have seen these guys beg for direct-fire AFV's to rush forward to provide spotting.

What tag are you using?
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Feldwebel

The Arty is completely "fictional" - the top down view is nuts, but it's in the game so... You should have seen the Arty accuracy before it was scaled back. I loved playing it, but with the accuracy being "re-adjusted" it's not as lethal = not as much fun to me.

The instant spotting by all of a team’s units is based on radio comm (better radio = longer map range). I'd like to see that changed to a more realistic model. However WoT is not so much a real tactical "facts" game for grognards as it is just a game, based on some facts for a wide appeal to players.

I see them re-modeling the game as it gets more popular to fix correct many of the game stuff for more true facts stuff.

The armor / gun penetration models might well be "off" to allow more of a game. Like first person shooters, soldiers in those can take multiple hits when in reality (facts) 1 shot would have killed them. Taking more hits before death allows more "play."

But I have no information on how WoT models the armor/penetration; I just know it's fun.
I've also ran into those situations when I can pump 5-6 rounds into something I thought 1 round should have taken out. But still, I don't know what's going on under the hood, frustrating for sure but fun. {I'd be playing right now if my PC's graphic card hadn't completely died yesterday.}

Throwing Tier level tanks 1-4 & 5-9 together is definitely a real killer for those at the bottom (tiers 1 & 5). I play the game just like the Beta is designed for: go out & try and get a kill. (Or for light tanks go spot as many enemy tanks as you can before getting killed)

I'm not that hyped to try and get the top tier tank (10) which is the end goal of the Beta.

I'm still waiting for the real game which is clan war to control "Europe" (or country).
I'm also hoping that they will have selectable options like: "no arty match" or "Tier 3 (etc) only Matches."