Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > General Discussion

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 11-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Generalleutnant

Mine arrived last night, but I went to a hockey game. When I got home, my wife was asleep and I checked the usual "package" areas like the kitchen counter and didn't see anything and then after checking all my fantasy sports teams forgot to ask her since she was asleep. I check the package tracking feature this morning and just realized it arrived at the house yesterday.

AAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Now I have to wait all day to take a look at it (plus it's date night with the wife tonight and I'm not sure she'll want to spend it at Barnes & Nobles looking at game components -- "Honey, check out the German single man counters and tell me they aren't beautiful . . . .")

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 11-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Oberfeldwebel

LOL

Thats funny

Unread 11-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Generalleutnant

I got it and had a chance to look at the components and rules last nite. In a nutshell, it is ASL-lite with some great improvements over ASL (namely, alternating impulse style movement - you go, i go, you go, i go vs. ASL's I go do my turn, you defend and then reverse). The counters are beautiful. German OB includes SS, paras, and regular jerries while the Americans include both 82nd and 101st and regular troops (I think -- not in front of me as I right this). Armor, support weapons, leaders, heroes, chaplains, medics and loads of other markers are included.

The maps are very ASL-esque and I prefer the non-folding style of the maps. Only minor drawback is that the black center dots will take some getting used to after two decades of staring at the white center dots on ASL boards.

The game is VASSAL compatible -- I have no idea how to use VASSAL, however. Given that we are KG, it could easily be played via TS using the honor system for rolling your dice and calling out your moves. I'm sure the more technologically literate can figure out VASSAL easily (and then teach me!).

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Stabsgefreiter

Hmm sounds interisting even though I do not play those kind of games...
Unread 11-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Generalleutnant

You should give them a try. 20 years ago there were no computers and this is how we all killed time if we wanted to game it up in WW2 land (that or dressing up in camo and running through the woods with toy guns that actually looked like guns, not the orange barrelled stuff they sell at toy stores today)!

Unread 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM
General der Panzer

Got mine ten minutes ago, fixing to open it up. I'm going to look into Vassal tonight and see what the heck it is and how it works. I'm pumped!