Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > Boardgames & Tabletop games

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 08-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Generalleutnant

Default It has begun!

Well after a few practice games of Germans vs. Russians, I finally set the whole Axis and Allies board up and let my son play A&A against me. He's been begging for a long time. He's 7 but understands all the game mechanics and is gradually understanding the tactics. I give him helpful coaching hints like ("you don't want to attack all that infantry with just planes b/c the cost/benefit isn't worth it") but don't roll over and let him win. We're on the 4th game turn and it's been a lot of fun. He left Moscow vulnerable and I just captured it with a quick panzer strike (hurray, I'm beating a 7 year old). Meanwhile a combined British and US naval task force is heading into the Indian ocean.

Japan's fleet has been consolidated and has launched successful invasions of Australia and NZ, but failed to take Hawaii. The US launched a lightning strike to take Okinawa and French Indochina. The USS Hornet launched a long range fighter raid that caught several Jap destroyers at anchorage, sinking them in a fury of attacks. Japan counterattacked and Japanese fighters suffered heavy losses at the Battle of Midway but ultimately sunk the USS Hornet. The US fleet is consolidated off the coast of California, led by the USS Missouri and prepares for a potential theater-defining engagement against the Japanese task force off the coast of Hawaii.

I forgot how fun this game is. The new A&A map is definitely better than the old one. I haven't added any house rules for this game other than combined offensive operations to allow my son to more easily move his american/brit armada.

Hopefully I have a future KG member in the works here :)

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 08-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Great idea JJ--starting the KG instructional league.

In just 14 years, your oldest will be a KG legacy shoe-in!
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:19 PM
General der Panzer

Japan plays defense in the east, takes India, builds tanks like crazy, and invades Russia. Germany buys tons of infantry and fighters and holds on in the west 'til the Japs take Moscow. Works almost every time!
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

John when you come to my place this fall ill let you check out Axis & Allies D-Day. It is so cool and so much different than the other games. I think it could be more easier for your young son to grasp as well. The object is to take or hold, depending on which side you are, 3 cities. There is a strict time limit and a orderly laid out series of events that happens on each turn. Its hard to screw up.
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Generalleutnant

That sounds great. I need to firm things up with the wife, but I'm thinking mid-week during the week of the 11th or 18th. (we're on vacation the week before). I'll drive out early in the morning, we'll get a full day of fishing in, then after perusing some games, I'll grab a courtesy bottle of Schreck wine that my wife and I can enjoy later in the week.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3