Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > Combat Mission: X2

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 09-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun
Default The Official CMx2 discussion thread

Post your thoughts and comments on the the most anticipated game release of 2006!
Unread 09-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Question Smoke/Mist/Fog

I saw the mention of smoke over at BFC and it the person who posted it posed some good questions.

1} Will smoke stay in place like it does with the current engine or will it now be able to drift with the wind with the new engine? {that would be cool if it would}

2} In dawn scenarios will there be a chance of rising mist/fog along river banks/Marshes/Lakes? Could it also be thick in some areas and thin in others?

i think these would be very cool features the designers could easily add to the new engine. What do you guys think?

Last edited by KG_Panzerschreck; 09-07-2005 at 11:49 PM..
Unread 09-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Generalleutnant

I'm looking forward to urban combat terrain, like debris strewn streets, cellars, and multi-story buildings. From what I've read, it sounds like they are working on some of these features.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 09-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

In trying to keep up with the flurry of posts at BF, I picked up some discussion on in a possible aspect of the modules. Apparently the modules will be "fit-together" according to what war.

For example - WW2 (I'm stealing bits of a conversation there to peice together an example for you)

Let's say one particular WW2 module released is "The Drive on Moscow". It doesn't have motorcycles though. The second that comes out is on Yugoslavia which does have motorcycles. You will be able to somehow now use motorcycles in "The Drive on Moscow"! The modules are compatable in someway.

Has anyone else heard information in regards to these modules being connected in such a way?

This game release really is funny. One day I'm bitching about BF and the next I get excited about these kinds of things. I think I will refrain from shouting curses at BF anymore and just wait and see how it turns out. They're batting 3 for 3 so far. I think we at least owe them the benefit of the doubt. We all certainly created enough upheaval at their forums about keeping PBEM to keep that game aspect fresh in their minds.
Unread 09-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

I cautiously take this very recent post as good news, including--dare I say it--about PBEM:

"Battlefront.com
Administrator
Member # 42

posted September 13, 2005 02:03 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to give your thoughts on what to change and what to retain. Yeah... like I really had to beat this out of you

I've made it to Page 7, so only 5 more to go. When you do the math of how many entries were made it is a little daunting to try and tabulate.... so I gave up after a while and simply read and made notes from the rest.

None of the top 5/5s surprised me. In fact, none of the ideas that received more than one vote surprised me (I counted 250 before I stopped). There are a few odd ones here and there, but that's normal for this group

The reason for going through this process is to make sure we've done our homework on what is really important for CMx2 to have. The good news is that we have your top requests very well covered. More good news is that a lot of the comments I saw are, in some way, taken care of. Many of the ones not covered aren't being included for philisophical instead technical/practical reasons. Meaning, we are actively opposed to their inclusion for one or more reasons. Obviously a large number of suggestions simply can't go in due to time or technical issues, though these seem to be (generally) not high up on the priority list.

Bottom line... we've done our homework

Steve"

Link to thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/u...;f=52;t=000190
Unread 09-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Yes it does "Sound" good but he doesnt mention it by name either, does he. After the promises that i have routinely seen yanked away by other game designers, ill save my kudos til i see it in a finished product.

signed the ultimate pessimist.

Last edited by KG_Panzerschreck; 09-13-2005 at 03:45 PM..
Unread 10-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Bad news today from Battlefront about MP:

"Posted by Battlefront.com (Member # 42) on October 03, 2005 07:14 PM:

Yes, campagins in the first release of CMx2 will be single player only (*ducks to avoid flying objects*). Story driven campaigns are the best way to inject the sort of excitement and "sense of a campaign" tht CMx1 was incapable of producing. Such campaigns have in fact been one of the longest running, most consistent request we've had since before CMBO was even released. We're pretty sure we have the design tht most people have been longing for. Can't say for sure until you tell us

The problem with story driven campaigns is that if you try to balance things out, to make it interesting for both sides, the battles all tend to seem similar. With a single player only option the story can be far more interesting and dynamic. The non-player side might have a single sniper and some mines, for example. Horrible experience for a Human player to command tht side, but the AI doesn't mind at all And from the other side, it could possibly be one of the most challenging scenarios that the player has ever experienced, even though he's not facing a dozen tanks an a battalion of enemy troops. So to NOT have the option to do something like this, simply to make sure the opposing side isn't bored to tears, is just not an option. Which is why most story driven campaigns are single player only, even for otherwise multi-player games.

Will we allow for multiplayer campaigns at a later date? Perhaps, but for the first title the answer is as above... no.

Steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Flammenwerfer (Member # 6890) on October 03, 2005 07:22 PM:

Will we be able to create single player campaigns in the editor?

Posted by Battlefront.com (Member # 42) on October 03, 2005 07:54 PM:

We'll have to see. If so... it won't be exactly pretty

Steve

Posted by Boris Balaban (Member # 63) on October 03, 2005 08:24 PM:

I just dropped my hot coffee

no multiplayer campaigns

Posted by Znarf (Member # 12807) on October 03, 2005 09:02 PM:

quote:
Originally posted by Battlefront.com:
We'll have to see. If so... it won't be exactly pretty

Steve

Don't worry, we'll figure it out! If you give us even the most minimal tools, we'll find a way.

Posted by Bruce70 (Member # 9064) on October 03, 2005 09:20 PM:

While we're on the subject...

By mini-campaign, I imagine you mean something on the scale of the campaign in CC2 (you know, the one before the series went down the drain), or perhaps one thread of that campaign. Is that about right or am I way off the mark?

Posted by Sergei (Member # 1732) on October 03, 2005 09:35 PM:

I'd imagine it to mean a series of custom-made scenarios, like the campaigns in Steel Panthers (not the long campaign).

While the system of Close Combats I-III was more akin to CM's Operations.

Posted by Battlefront.com (Member # 42) on October 03, 2005 10:09 PM:

Custom scenarios, linked together with units passing from one scenario to another (or not, depending). That's what we're going for. There is a certain degree of dynamic flow, based on battle outcome, but not dynamic in the sense that they are created on the fly.

Steve"

Here's the link:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/u...;f=52;t=000271
Unread 10-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Generalleutnant

Yawn!

Sounds like I'll have to brush up on my World of Warcraft skills at the rate we're going . . .

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 10-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

They didn't say we can't create our own campaigns, did they? So that we could PBEM them, thus be able to multi-play them. They are talking about the Campaigns "they" built into the game,.

It seems as though they simply aren't creating a true MP function. We can get by if they at least let us continue to MP like we have been.

Or maybe I'm not reading this right?
Unread 10-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Generalleutnant

It doesn't sound any different than CM1 which means no true campaign system. At best, you'll be able to design operations I suppose. That's my take on it.

I'm sure folks will figure out a work-around, but it's hard to get excited about a game where you have to dedicate time thinking up the work-around. We had to think up multiplayer and it would have been a lot nicer if they designed it with multiplayer in mind -- simple things, like color coding the bases of each player's units would be huge play aids or allowing simultaneous plotting and then subsequent meshing of the file etc.