Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > General Discussion

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 03-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Generalleutnant

Default NTW campaign

So now that I'm a NTW junkie, I was thinking we could set up a simple campaign at some point. And by simple -- I mean really, really, really simple.

Here's an idea for creating the Peninsular campaign. One side is the Frogs, the other the Limeys. To push the frogs out of spain, you need to win 3 consecutive battles, to push the Limeys out of Spain into Portugal, the Frogs need to do the same. When you win two battles in a row, winner gets some sort of bonus like an extra 1000 points and three in a row gets you the field of your choice and 1000 extra points. Something really simple like that.

We could have several of these type of things going and simply post the results in an ongoing thread. You could do Russia and all the stuff with the Austrians and Prussians.

Once Jim duct tapes his computer, we could really get something like this going. It would just give me added incentive to try to beat Marshall Sspoom.

There would be no schedule or anything -- purely for fun and feeling like a Marshall or General!

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3

Last edited by KG_Kharkov; 03-18-2007 at 07:20 PM..
Unread 03-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Generalleutnant

Here's a simple example. Frogs win games 1 and 2 and are 2/3 of the way to pushing the Brits out of Spain. Brits win game 3 so Frogs are 1/3 of the way. Frogs win 2 more -- campaign is over and frog victory!

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Oberstleutnant

Sounds like it could be a hoot.
We just need to do some map scoping to see
which maps we would want to us. Some would be
better for defence some pretty plain. Possibly picking 5 maps
start on the middle one and push back and forth. Or even have
2 or 3 for each spot winner of last battle chosing the next map.
The last map before being pushed out of a campain would be on suited for
the defence.
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Oberstleutnant

For those that already have Rome Total War this is truly
a must try mod. Tons of user made maps excellent gameplay
that is quite realistic and nowhere near as uncontrolled as Rome could be.
The game is playable up to 4v4. The game rewards tactical manuevering as much as bold actions. Think you are going to just charge up the hill and rout the thin enemy line? think again as you are likely to be routed yourself.
Think that just because you have three fresh line units you are just going to charge and overwhelm the 1 Prussian life guard unit? HAH good luck!
This game adds whole new life to an already great Total War game,
actually to me its even better than the original, much more playable while
still keeping you on your toes trying to rally the troops and dress the lines.
There are Infantry, Calvary and artillery units all made to accurately represent their real life counterparts.
If you are at all interested in this age of warfare give it a try.
You wont be dissapointed.
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Oberstleutnant

Plus the games are pretty short 20 -30 minutes usually.
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Generalleutnant

Take it from me -- computer idiot -- this is worth the few minutes that it takes to download and install the mod. I find it to be a very realistic recreation of napoleonic fighting. When I lose, it's because of obvious tactical errors that would have cost me a battle in real life. I find myself struggling with the same thing that Napoleonic commanders struggled with such as dressing your lines and reconsolidating mauled units. There is nothing quite like seeing a charge press home after weakening an enemy. At the same time, don't expect your Highlanders to do the impossible! Great gameplay and balance!

OK, I'll give some more thought for some simple campaign rules. Steve, do the same. I like the map ideas you had.

Unread 03-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Generalleutnant

Building off of Steve's ideas, here's some thoughts for a Peninsula campaign (which can then be adapted for other campaigns). Spain is broken into 5 parts:

West, Mid-West, Central, Mid-East, East

1. The initial battle is fought on the Central map: single player battles will be 10k, multiplayer 20k (as a default -- we can agree to anything)

2. Steve picks 4 or 5 maps for use as "Central" maps

3. If the Frogs win, the next battle is on the Mid-West map, or if the Limeys win, the Mid-East map

4. On the Mid-West map, the Frogs get to pick the map from a choice of 4 or 5 and can pick the side of the map they want and get 1,000 extra points (2,000 for a 20k match -- basically, you get a 10% bonus -- the side without the bonus is on the honor system not to pick the full points alloted for the match since we'd have to set the point max higher since you can't set it per side) -- reverse the process if it is on the Mid-East map

5. On battles on the West map, the Limeys pick a map from a couple of defensive oriented choices and can be the defender but the Frogs get 2,000 extra points (4,000 for a 20k match) -- reverse the process if it is on East map

6. Reversal of fortune: If the Limeys win on the West map, or the Frogs on the East, the following battle that is played on the Mid maps are at even strength.

We just keep track of ebb and flow til someone is out of Spain

We could do the same thing for Russia with Napoleon in the middle of Russia. In the Russian campaign, the Frogs, Austrians and Prussians would be able to fight on one side and the Russkies on the other.

I have to do a bit more research for the Austerlitz/Jena-Austerdat type campaign as to logical force mix (likely Frogs against the world).

Unread 03-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Generalleutnant

By the way, what does "Guard mode" do?

Unread 03-19-2007, 02:59 PM
General der Panzer

I think it keeps them from chasing a routed unit, but I'm not sure.
Unread 03-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Generalleutnant

I just issue halt orders and then have my sergeants re-dress the ranks before I kick more Prussian arse!