Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > General Discussion

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 04-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Feldwebel

Default Crusader Kings DV?

Has anyone played this game by Paradox?
http://www.avault.com/reviews/pc/cru...ult-pc-review/

I've been looking for a Avalon Hill "Kingmaker" type game & this looks to be wayyyyyyyy deeper than that. A game I can just sink into without "pressure" & play at my own pace. The actual "crusade" part isn't a big deal as I saw a "mod" that can prevent you from being forced to go that route.

I checked out their website, a lot of player mods & maps: even a Lord of the Rings Mod. :)

The fans seem to be highly involved on their website which is a good sign.

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barrack Obama

''Life's tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne

Last edited by Palantir; 04-18-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Don't know anything about it or the original. It looks like EU 2 and 3. Wonder if it plays like those games.
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Unteroffizier

Location: Not the edge of the world but you can see it from here
Send a message via Skype™ to KG_RangerBooBoo

I've got it and play it a little though I had a harder time getting in to it then I did the EU games. If you're looking for a Kingmaker type game though I would think this would be a good choice. Always enjoyed trying to secure my line of succession etc. You should be able to pick it up fairly cheap but I'd get the Deus Vult add on too.
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Feldwebel

I went ahead & picked up both CK & DV.

Since there's no tutorial, just a "these are what the icons are" type screen, & doesn't tell you how to implement them - as recommended I watched hours of 2 videos on Youtube to get a grasp of how to play this game. Which still didn't answer MOST of my questions.

Be that as it may I've played it for hours on end already. :)

It's not quite as military (so far) as Kingmaker but that could just be my playing. Then again when you have a game that goes day-by-day in a possible "400 yr long game" things happen slowly.

Once I come to grips with the fact that in this game, in my tiny little Kingdom, one of my Counts, on his own can declare war on the Empire of Egypt in which I then got my butt royally stomped, I'll be alright...

Examples of my little issues so far:
A. I was offered a "White Peace" - ummm ok what does that mean & do? Are there other type "colors" of peace & if so what do they do? After a long long search- I still have no clue.

B. There are 500+ provinces with some incredibly strange names & if a "Duchy" then names that don't relate to the map location. There’s' no way to look them up except by LOOKING for their little shield on the map. So if you want to say look for a bride it's another long process. Thank goodness I have a love of maps & have been able to guess by their name what section of the world they are in.

Their website (which I can't post on yet due to some initial probation thing) looks ok - a little "stiff" but might be nice.

EDIT- I just spent several hrs reading more of their forum posts & stumbled on this out of the blue comment imbedded in a thread:
blah blah... "Just click '?' on your keyboard (it opens a typing-box), and type 'Antioch', and hit enter - it makes the province situate in the middle of your screen."

Gee - how hard would it have been to have added in the game a simple list of IMPORTANT keystrokes...
HA!

Last edited by Palantir; 04-22-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Unread 04-23-2010, 03:31 AM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Its stuff like that that used to infuriate me when i played certain games. I cant tell you how many games ive played over the years that were "C" titles that could of been "B", or "B" titles that could of been "A" titles if it werent for crappy or non-existant instructions.
Unread 04-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Unteroffizier

Location: Not the edge of the world but you can see it from here
Send a message via Skype™ to KG_RangerBooBoo

White Peace is one where both parties agree to end the fighting with no exchange of monies or territories.
Unread 04-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Feldwebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_RangerBooBoo View Post
White Peace is one where both parties agree to end the fighting with no exchange of monies or territories.
That can't be right- it was too "right to the point" & easy to understand. THANKS!
{I've hit that "ok" button but then it was- "what just happened? Did I lose $$, loyalty, piety, am I still at war with "his" King, what happened to my troops etc. etc.?

Once again including a simple sentence like that could have saved me & everyone else probably reading a ton of posts to end up empty.

What surprises me is that with the game being 5 yrs old their forum does not have a "this "X" means this "Y" explanation or simple executions page. They have a huge FAQ thread but when there are hundreds of individual posts asking different questions you have to wade thru reading each one... which I did....

The one good thing is they have included a "save at any point" function in the game- probably on purpose so when players don't have a clue after they have royally screwed up (pun intended) & said "well that wasn't what I thought would happen" you reload and guess'timate again.

Unread 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Crusader Kings Complete (including DV) is available in no DRM download form from GamersGate for only $7.98.

Link:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-CKDV/c...omplete-bundle
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Crusader Kings 2 has been announced--according to ACG.