Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > The Depot > Militaria

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 05-03-2006, 01:30 AM
Obergefreiter.

Smile Eickhorn dagger

Here is another super minty 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger ~ enjoy!

Unread 05-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun

Did you buy this in the condition it's shown or did you have it refurbished?

The reason I ask is because I have a couple of WW I German Bayonets that are in need of work on the blades & I'm wondering if there are places I could bring them that would "handle them with care" & restore them.

The dagger is beautiful by the way, John. It's definitely my favorite of the two you've shown.
Unread 05-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Oberstleutnant

I wouldnt have work done on them Frank.
Im not 100% sure but I think that that would hurt the value of the Items.
Unread 05-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Obergefreiter.

Frank - Steve is correct to "fix up" would cause the item to drop in value... the best thing you can do is the following - something a guy I know posted on another forum.

Quote:
1) Never touch the blade.

2) Buy "RustFree" online. It is a silicon based lubricant and protectorant that is very stable, and will not gum up the scabbard interior. Be careful not to over-coat, as such liberal application will attract dust, which can be the seeds of rust spots.

3) Buy Renaissance Wax and lightly apply to the exterior of your dagger. It's what they use on the Mona Lisa, and will ever-so-gently clean the surface of surface dirt, and will simulataneously protect the finish.

4) In or out of the scabbard storage? It's personal preference, really. I have heard good arguments for both. I usually store my regular blades in the scabbards, and store my damascus and etched blades out of the scabbard.

5) If you're a serious collector with serious coin invested, maintain humidity levels of about 65% (a few hundred bucks will buy you a digital dehumidifier at Sears). This is the perfect humidity to keep natural mosture in wood and leather. It won't get dried out, and won't get over-moist. Keep temperature and humidity constant. For small collections, consider silica moisture beads in a specifically designed perforated tray, which is the "non-electric" way of maintaining the best humidity levels. Do a search under "Humidity Control Beads" on the internet and you should find product.

6) If you get a dagger with a non-plated blade, consider a one-time wipe down with a light, gentle application of semi-chrome. It will remove any 3D corrosion, which I consider a good thing. Be very careful about doing this on a plated blade.

7) You may want to lightly treat leather covered scabbards with Meltonian of the appropriate color. It is an excellent preservative, and has the added benefit of helping to cure ultra-minor blemishes. If you prefer not to go the "color" route you can buy neutral Meltonian. Available online or at a shoe-store.

8) Invest in a box of white cotton gloves. When showing off your collection, give a pair to the visiting party. It will instantly convey a sense of respect for your items, and will cause anybody who you have just handed gloves, to be much more careful. It's psychological, but it works! They won't be ABLE to touch the blade, and they will be more careful about dropping it.
Now with that sais there are experts who can do this but the cost is the ubknown factor and may be best to clean them and preserve them.

Cheers

John