Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > War & Strategy Games > Combat Mission: X2

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 03-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Default CMSF--Beta videos released

See them, including an Abrams and infantry here:

http://battlefront.com/products/cmsf/news.html

and here:

http://battlefront.com/products/cmsf/videos.html
Unread 03-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_Cloghaun

I thought those videos were very cool. The infantry movie was especially impressive, watching them change clips of ammo.

I can only imagine how cool & how much mileage we are going to get out of this new engine when new modules come out.
Unread 03-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Fahnenjunker Unteroffizier

The infantry video is great...i can almost smell the cordite......I especilally like the pulling of the charging handle..very nice touch!!!
Unread 03-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Well, someone has to play Devils Advocate so here goes. While the inf video looks great there is a little glitch in the loading of the mags. The mags are off to the side and not in the the magazine well the whole way until each soldier brings the rifle up to a firing position and then they pop into place. Other than that thats the only fault i saw in it.
Unread 03-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Generalleutnant

Yea, the reload animation wasn't real smooth. I can't say that I'm overwhelmed. It pretty much looks like what I would expect for a 2007 game of this sort. I'm really interested in seeing actual gameplay not just a tank driving around and some guys firing their weapon, but it's a start.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 03-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

You guys are too much..

I realize none of us are thrilled with the setting, but come on!!

These graphics blow CMBB & AK away! Pan in on the infantry modelling for CMBB & then look again at the shock force infantry. Ofcourse it's not as great as the rendering of an FPS game soldier, but this is a strategic wargame! Were talking 1:1 ratios here in infantry squad representation.

Not to mention this is a "beta" video.

You'll all be eating your words when the Stalingrad module comes out- or Gettysburg.
Unread 03-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Generalleutnant

You are comparing something that is supposed to be a Lexus to a 1976 Plymouth Valiant. Of course, it is going to look better. It's been years since the last release and they are spending real $ into making the game look "shiney" fresh. But if you play other games like RTS games (to which this will be pretty similar to), I think it is fair to say that it is nothing earthshattering. I mean, I can look at a mod to the Rome Total War engine (i.e. look at the Napoleonic mod) and feel like I'm getting a fair amount of detail, and that's a really old game engine.

It may be earthshattering once it is combined with actual gameplay but it doesn't really stand out so far from any RTS or other WW2 games that I've seen recently.

Of course, I'll be raving about it when it makes it's way to WW2, but don't fool yourself, we'll have a new president before we even see film of this game engine in a WW2 setting.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 03-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Oberstleutnant

Well I for one am looking forward to trying this game.
Although I also think a "cold war/ Red storm rising" genre
would have been more fun this could be very challenging and fun also.
Unread 03-30-2007, 05:06 PM
General der Panzer

Who really cares that much about graphics? I'm more interested in setting and gameplay. I could care less if it's one to one ratio or that the high def looks good. I just want a game that's interesting, and set in WWII. CMBB and CMAK look plenty good to me.
Unread 03-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber
Generalleutnant

Quote:
It may be earthshattering once it is combined with actual gameplay
That is my whole point. I never expected the graphics to be "earthshattering". I expected them to be cool enough & real enough to allow us to actually get closer too the battlefield without shuddering in embarressment over how cartoonish the current games look now at close up.

Gameplay is obviously most important to us all & that is what BF has always stressed what it's focus has been during the development of this new engine. I'm glad for that. But I'm also happy they didn't just repackage the same graphics either. Interactive terrain, multi-level buildings, improved weather effects - they are going to add to the game experience more than you think, imo.

But, we'll see.