Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > Military History > World War II

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 07-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Generalleutnant

Default Honoring World War 2 Veterans and Preserving History

I wanted to let you guys know about an ongoing history project that you can easily participate in. It is the World War 2 Memorial's Registry of Remembrances through which you can register a World War 2 veteran in a centralized database linked to the World War 2 memorial. The registration process is very simple and can be done online. It requires basic information about the veteran such as his branch of service, rank and description of service.

I have recently begun volunteering at a local Veterans center run by Pennsylvania. Each week I go over and chat with some veterans, many of whom have no family nearby, and review service records of those veterans interested in enrolling in the registry (I then do a follow up interview). The volunteer coordinator at the facility identifies those veterans wishing to participate. So far, I've met veterans of Iwo Jima, Pearl Harbor, and the Battle of the Bulge. I just completed my first enrollment (which will then then be reviewed by the memorial and subsequently posted on the world wide web for all to review). I mention this not to get any accolades (believe me, I'm normally as self-centered and lazy as the next guy) but because we are literally surrounded by aging and dying veterans who will all be gone in another decade or two at the most, and I know most of you have a deep love for history.

If you have grandfathers, uncles, etc. who fought in World War 2, this is a simple way to honor them and preserve history for future generations. There is also an oral history project sponsored by the Library of Congress that I can provide you more information about for those who have veterans in their families who might wish to participate. My grandfather recently participated in this project. I have not participated in the oral history project yet but may do so later this year if time permits.

Here is a link to the Memorial's registry of remembrances.

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/default....;subpage=intro